Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Thoughts on fixing rock chip on tri-coat?

binarydad

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'm so bummed. I picked it up a month ago and I get a nasty, little ding on the rear passenger door from a rock. Has anyone fixed a ding of this size, on this paint (or similar), and how was it? I'm not looking for perfection, as my concern is rust, so I need to paint it somehow.

Did you go through a body shop? Was it a full repaint? Did you touch it up with just a paint pen? Did you use Dr ColorChip?

Looking for thoughts and suggestions... thanks!

Attachments

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I used Dr. Color Chip on my hood. The chip was through the Race Red to the primer. This stuff works as advertised but when the chip is deep be prepared to apply several coats over a number of days to fill a deep spot. While mine isn't perfect, no one but me knows it's there. Dr. Color Chip knows what they want for a little bit of paint too but the match was spot on and the Race Red is a Tri-Coat.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I used "Scratches Happen" on my Rapid Red. Decent results on horizontal surface. I do have a door chip I need to work on, but the vertical surface has me a bit buffaloed.

OP
binarydad

binarydad

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
I used Dr. Color Chip on my hood. The chip was through the Race Red to the primer. This stuff works as advertised but when the chip is deep be prepared to apply several coats over a number of days to fill a deep spot. While mine isn't perfect, no one but me knows it's there. Dr. Color Chip knows what they want for a little bit of paint too but the match was spot on and the Race Red is a Tri-Coat.
Would you mind sharing a picture of the chip as it is now? Curious to see how it looks with this type of paint. Thanks.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST 401A Pkg White Met Tri-Coat
This is my 2nd white tricoat vehicle. I had a nice chip that I caused on my F150.
If you buy touchup per the paint code on vehicle, it only gives you just white and clearcoat. It wont match unless you get the metallic too.
I believe one of the ones mentioned above gives you all 3.
I don’t recall which.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk