Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Third Row Seating Folding Issue

Reactions
Hello all. I just picked up the new Explorer ST last night and today my right third row seat doesn’t fold down. The left still works but the right does nothing. Has any experienced this? If so what was the issue? I was also wonder if there was a manual release of some sort? I looked in the manual and did see any with regards to a manual release. I’m brining back to the dealer tomorrow and will update once the issue is figured out. Thanks!

Reactions
I would do a quick check to make sure the wiring harness is properly connected. I had an issue with one of my seats (don't remember which one) and the harness was not completely connected.

Reactions
Hello all. I just picked up the new Explorer ST last night and today my right third row seat doesn’t fold down. The left still works but the right does nothing. Has any experienced this? If so what was the issue? I was also wonder if there was a manual release of some sort? I looked in the manual and did see any with regards to a manual release. I’m brining back to the dealer tomorrow and will update once the issue is figured out. Thanks!
Maybe your's is affected by the recall https://www.explorerst.org/threads/recall-19c07.102/

OP
Johnnyo4273
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Well they looked at it for a little over an hour today and came to the conclusion that it’s the switch. Unfortunately the switch on back order until the middle of November. To be continued....

OP
Johnnyo4273
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Quick update on this situation. The switch finally came in after two months. After they installed the switch the seat still didn’t fold. So they kept it overnight and after troubleshooting it turned out to be a software issue. After they reinstalled the software the seat worked right away And has been fine ever since. Probably could’ve been fixed on day one but it’s all good now.

Reactions
We have the same issue with the left seat. Ford has changed everything still not fixed. It been at the dealership more than ate own garage

OP
Johnnyo4273
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
We have the same issue with the left seat. Ford has changed everything still not fixed. It been at the dealership more than ate own garage
Tell them to check the software and to reload it.

stock

Reactions
Tell them to check the software and to reload it.
Thanks for posting about your experience! Had the exact same problem as yours, where the right side third row seat stopped working and wouldn’t lower. Took into to dealer and receptionist scoffed when I suggested that this could be software related, but I insisted that they check based on your experience. Issue was fixed after they updated the software!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If it was working before, try a battery disconnect or pulling the fuse or module reset in Forscan (if available).

Last edited:

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
My ST had the same problem when I brought it home. 3rd row power seats wouldn't work. Dealer reprogrammed and updated software had has worked fine ever since. That was back in Feb 2020

Reactions
Having same issue. Going to try unhooking negative terminal before bringing in for software tweak. Will report back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
I find that both mine will begin to fold, but the right side head rest won't fold all the way in, but rather gets stuck half way, which results in the right seat coming back up after getting blocked from folding.
Not a big deal for me, honestly. I leave the headrests down anyway for better visibility out the back window. I'm sure if I were to manually work the headrest back and forth a number of times, it may loosen it up.

saduke

Reactions
Quick update on this situation. The switch finally came in after two months. After they installed the switch the seat still didn’t fold. So they kept it overnight and after troubleshooting it turned out to be a software issue. After they reinstalled the software the seat worked right away And has been fine ever since. Probably could’ve been fixed on day one but it’s all good now.
Hey Johnnyo4273 - I have a 2020 Limited and the 3rd row seats are stuck up... I am in the Green Bay, WI area... Looks like you are in IL. Can you tell me which dealer you went to that fixed your 3rd row? My dealer has no idea what the issue is and is not being helpful... I would love to have them call your dealer for an insight on how to fix it. Thank you!! - Sam

Last edited:

Explorer ST Posts