Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Thinking of buying a previous Buyback

KenoshaST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I'm new here. I'm thinking of buying a previous buyback 2020 Explorer ST. Build date 8-9-19.

It will be a CPO with 11,000 miles. Black with high performance package. VIN ends with 4348. Carfax shows it was registered in VA and dropped off at a dealer in Dundalk, MD. It's now at a dealer outside of Chicago.

I was hoping that it might be someone from this forum that owned it before and I can get the bottom line on the issues with the vehicle.

Any info will help.

Reactions
Send me the VIN - I can see what the Ford warranty history is on it

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm new here. I'm thinking of buying a previous buyback 2020 Explorer ST. Build date 8-9-19.

It will be a CPO with 11,000 miles. Black with high performance package. VIN ends with 4348. Carfax shows it was registered in VA and dropped off at a dealer in Dundalk, MD. It's now at a dealer outside of Chicago.

I was hoping that it might be someone from this forum that owned it before and I can get the bottom line on the issues with the vehicle.

Any info will help.
What does Carfax show the buyback was for? Electrical? Transmission? Go to Cars.com or Autotrader.com and type in for a used Explorer ST, lowest price. You'll find a bunch of buybacks on there.

OP
K

KenoshaST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Carfax said:

Reason provided by Manufacturer:
  • Defective headlinerAC being on causes vehicle to shake at idle.
It seems to me there must be more to the story.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Does it have a sunroof?

OP
K

KenoshaST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Yes

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Just wondering if a problem with a leaking sunroof might not be documented as a headliner problem. I for one wouldn’t want someone else’s leaking sunroof.

OP
K

KenoshaST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Send me the VIN - I can see what the Ford warranty history is on it
Thank you very much for the report!!

I'm very curious about how the previous owner was able to convince Ford to buy it back with what appears to be minor and fixable issues. Where's Paul Harvey when you need him.?

Reactions
Thank you very much for the report!!

I'm very curious about how the previous owner was able to convince Ford to buy it back with what appears to be minor and fixable issues. Where's Paul Harvey when you need him.?
Varies from state to state - it could’ve just spent a lot of time in service diagnosing the issues

OP
K

KenoshaST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Just wondering if a problem with a leaking sunroof might not be documented as a headliner problem. I for one wouldn’t want someone else’s leaking sunroof.
I thought along the same lines.

The report provided by eec78 stated:
"VERIFIED FRONT PASSENGER SIDE HEADLINER IS SAGGING DOES NOT SIT FLUSH WITH CEILING." and
"ENGINE SHAKES AT IDLE WHEN NC ISO N
ROAD TEST, NO PROBLEMS, IDS TEST, NO CODES, CK PRIOR REPAIRS, ALL GOOD, NO PROBLEMS FOUND"

That's about it other than a door lock didn't work.

OP
K

KenoshaST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Varies from state to state - it could’ve just spent a lot of time in service diagnosing the issues
The previous owner must have been an attorney.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Do a search on 20U29 service bulletin which calls for updating a bunch of modules to current calibrations. I would insist on that.

Reactions
I was looking at a 2020 and after reading some of the issues the first Explorers had, I went for a 2021. I think we've all heard it's generally not a good idea to go with the first year model...as one of my aviator friends said, stay away from an Alpha version...
Not to offend, there are lots of them without problems and they improved as they got later in the builds of the 2020 year...to coin another cliche, your mileage may vary

Blackssr

Reactions
Walk away... Why would you subject yourself to potential issues to save a few bucks?

OP
K

KenoshaST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
Walk away... Why would you subject yourself to potential issues to save a few bucks?
I'm thinking about just that. The price difference between this one and a new one is about $13,000. I'm a deal hunter but wonder if its worth the headache.

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That's a huge difference. Maybe ask if you can borrow it for a weekend? I would even pay rental car fees to thoroughly examine it.

OP
K

KenoshaST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #18
That's a huge difference. Maybe ask if you can borrow it for a weekend? I would even pay rental car fees to thoroughly examine it.
Fantastic idea!! I'm on it.

OP
K

KenoshaST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #19
Do a search on 20U29 service bulletin which calls for updating a bunch of modules to current calibrations. I would insist on that.
Thanks! I'll definitely ensure it's been done.

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I am right there with you as being a deal hunter. I might consider it as it will still have the manufacturer's warranty. Also, some dealers have technicians that are more knowledgeable about issues compared to others. I agree you should take it for a day and keep it overnight. Some of the gremlins with the ST only occur in the morning.