Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

thinking of adding a hidden light bar

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 ExST, '17 Raptor, '16 FoST, FFR Cobra
I have a really nice setup on my Raptor where I have Baja Designs flood and wide lights - obviously built for it's need, many times at night out in areas where there's not much lighting, I will use them quite a bit

was thinking of something more subtle/hidden on the ExST (my poor attempt at a photoshop below and not exactly to scale)
120W, 24pcs x 5w High Intensity LEDs - 25.39" x 2.09" x 1.18"

xprite-26inch-led.png

the one of the left in the photo below would be the choice IMHO, the opening in the ST grille is 28" wide and about 2" high, and if you can mount the bar without totally blocking the entry it seems there'd be airflow around the system to still get to the shutters/radiator, etc...

xprite-26-single-row.png

Xprite 26 Inch LED Light Bar 120W Flood Beam Super Slim Single Row Off Road LED Waterproof Work Lights
They seem to have good reviews, and I figure it would be good to try this out when I put on the larger intercooler since the front facia will be off the vehicle.

has anyone tried this before?

Attachments

Last edited:

RCST

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I really want to do this. I contacted diode dynamics about it a while ago, but they had no mount solution.

Would be great if we could figure out getting a light bar in there. Following.

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
yeah this one looks to be a perfect size, 26 inches is about what i'd want in there...

they also have an amber one that is like a DRL if I understand it correctly - may look a bit off though with the ExST having all white up front except when the turn signals are on...

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have been thinking of doing this for some time now and should have looked at mounting locations when I swapped out the intercooler. This is the lightbar I would use as I have one from Rough Country's Black Series behind my bumper in my Ram.

https://www.roughcountry.com/20-inch-led-light-bar-70720bl.html

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
I have been thinking of doing this for some time now and should have looked at mounting locations when I swapped out the intercooler. This is the lightbar I would use as I have one from Rough Country's Black Series behind my bumper in my Ram.

https://www.roughcountry.com/20-inch-led-light-bar-70720bl.html
that looks like it would fit perfectly! size matters, but what's more important is light output! LUMENS!!! :D

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
that looks like it would fit perfectly! size matters, but what's more important is light output! LUMENS!!! :D
I also have yellow film from LaminX on the light bar in my Ram and it really puts out a ton of light.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I have a really nice setup on my Raptor where I have Baja Designs flood and wide lights - obviously built for it's need, many times at night out in areas where there's not much lighting, I will use them quite a bit

was thinking of something more subtle/hidden on the ExST (my poor attempt at a photoshop below and not exactly to scale)
120W, 24pcs x 5w High Intensity LEDs - 25.39" x 2.09" x 1.18"

View attachment 16778

the one of the left in the photo below would be the choice IMHO, the opening in the ST grille is 28" wide and about 2" high, and if you can mount the bar without totally blocking the entry it seems there'd be airflow around the system to still get to the shutters/radiator, etc...

View attachment 16775

Xprite 26 Inch LED Light Bar 120W Flood Beam Super Slim Single Row Off Road LED Waterproof Work Lights
They seem to have good reviews, and I figure it would be good to try this out when I put on the larger intercooler since the front facia will be off the vehicle.

has anyone tried this before?
Baja Designs is legit stuff cant go wrong there. That single row would prob look good there.
If it were me id get the Goonin gear 24" IR light bar only problem there is you would also need a set of NODs lmao.

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
anyone have a schematic of how I could wire the relay to come on with the high beams? :D

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
I saw this and thought about the Timberlands. They've got something higher up, closer to the Police model. Just an idea:
https://www.levittownfordparts.com/...Ufgc4PGo_MKDxXA8q4koGYDWV0ibPMnBoC-lsQAvD_BwE

I see what you're going for though and this option seems to be it. No clue about the aesthetic you're going for though.
https://www.cartrix.com/i-30509302-...tte-black-ab-fo5-with-20in-led-light-bar.html
yeah I think the Timberlands version is neat, but want to keep the ST grill... not really an easy way to implement that

the bull bar is interesting, not sure if I want the Police Interceptor look - but the light bar would pretty much be in that locatoin just behind the bumper

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
yeah I think the Timberlands version is neat, but want to keep the ST grill... not really an easy way to implement that

the bull bar is interesting, not sure if I want the Police Interceptor look - but the light bar would pretty much be in that locatoin just behind the bumper
Yeah the mounting is what I would be worried about like a couple others said. Those were the things I had looked into myself for similar idea. I've held off on anything so far.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Just mount it to the crash bar. It’s plenty heavy for a light bar and right where you’d want to mount it anyway.

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
Just mount it to the crash bar. It’s plenty heavy for a light bar and right where you’d want to mount it anyway.
who has a crash bar mounted? the bull one above doesn't show any side shots...

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15
ah so you're saying onto these posts?

Sorry haven't been behind the bumper yet

1678219053881.png

or the impact bar? (yellow)
1678219201719.png

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #16
ah - found a better pic
1678219296674.png

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST

yeah its aluminium and is hollow so you could just tap into it and mount there. you'd need to make a custom bracket to make sure it sits closest to the front bumber

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #18
that sounds like a plan! would need to trim the radiator shroud a bit, but not a big deal... seems doable for sure! Just need a 1/2 day and the right parts LOL

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
that sounds like a plan! would need to trim the radiator shroud a bit, but not a big deal... seems doable for sure! Just need a 1/2 day and the right parts LOL
honestly; if you're looking to get the intercooler upgrade you might as well do them at the same time. taking the bumper off is quite the feat. its not hard, at all but, its quite involved and takes about an hour to get off.

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
Yep that’s the plan