Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Thinking about buying a 2020 ST

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'd just make sure the hard 7-6 downshift is not there. Otherwise occasional "lurchy" shifts are normal. Improved with updated PCM firmware but still not perfect. An aftermarket tune can improve things further.

And although I am warning you about potential issues, let it be known that I love my ST. At least it has all the niceties that they seem to cut with each passing year. At least it has the proper rear subframe. I still look forward to driving it every day and still look back at it with a smile when I park and walk away.

OP
jb.

jb.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #22
No. I totally get it... I also know about the negativity effect where people who're completely happy and have no issues don't really speak up very often statistically. The ST seems like the answer to what I'm looking for and to be honest not much else seems to have the features it delivers for anywhere near the price.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
No. I totally get it... I also know about the negativity effect where people who're completely happy and have no issues don't really speak up very often statistically. The ST seems like the answer to what I'm looking for and to be honest not much else seems to have the features it delivers for anywhere near the price.
Nothing does. I have looked HARD. There is zero options at <$60,000 that have 400+hp, AWD, 3 rows, heated/cooled seats, heated 2nd row, pano roof, and a 360 camera.The ST is in a class all by itself, and the 2020s were special (heated wipers, front camera washer, etc.).

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Nothing does. I have looked HARD. There is zero options at <$60,000 that have 400+hp, AWD, 3 rows, heated/cooled seats, heated 2nd row, pano roof, and a 360 camera.The ST is in a class all by itself, and the 2020s were special (heated wipers, front camera washer, etc.).
I'd give you three thumbs up if I could! That is absolutely, completely true. Not even mentioning parking assist, massaging seats, adaptable cruise, lane keeping, 13 second 1/4 miles (stock). Braking from 70 on par with Z06 vettes and Bugatti Chiron? Nothing in its class for the money.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Definitely drive it again. With that mileage it should have just gotten a new set of treads. I would stay right at $40K, again b2b warranty has to be $0 deductible, otherwise dealer will try to charge you the deductible for each issue you want repaired. Deductibles are okay for big ticket items, but encourage people to stay away from getting small issues repaired.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I'd give you three thumbs up if I could! That is absolutely, completely true. Not even mentioning parking assist, massaging seats, adaptable cruise, lane keeping, 13 second 1/4 miles (stock). Braking from 70 on par with Z06 vettes and Bugatti Chiron? Nothing in its class for the money.
It was mind-numbing to see all of the 300 HP V6 SUVs when I was shopping around. Everything looked exactly the same except for the ST. I was even having a hard time finding something with a factory trailer hitch. Good luck finding a Telluride or Cherokee with one of those.

Reactions
I bought a new late 2020 and have had only one problem, that was the drivers side CAT. Great car and zero complaints.

OP
jb.

jb.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #28
Definitely drive it again. With that mileage it should have just gotten a new set of treads. I would stay right at $40K, again b2b warranty has to be $0 deductible, otherwise dealer will try to charge you the deductible for each issue you want repaired. Deductibles are okay for big ticket items, but encourage people to stay away from getting small issues repaired.
It’s whatever the Ford Gold Certified warranty is. I think it's $100 deductible. That’s fine to me. It‘s also per visit, not per issue from what i read… so you just gang up many small issues for the trip.

I haven't seen any CPOs under this one, most are significantly more expensive. For example, I can get one with 18k miles for $46k. The $46k one is also much newer production (6/2020). Is that worth $4k? I'm not sure. It's also blue which is probably my favorite color. My heart is pulling me that direction, but $4k is enough to pause me.

The $42k (white) one also has full dealer service records and was a lease return bought and returned to the same dealer (where it's now for sale). The $46k (blue) one has had two owners in it's short 18k miles, traveled across the country, and doesn't have nearly as extensive records.

OP
jb.

jb.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #29
Got the real records for the more expensive, lower mileage blue car. It's maintained just as well, has less than half the miles, a much newer production date, is still under factory B2B warranty until next January, doesn't shift as harshly as the white one, and I ended up talking them down a chunk to the point where it was worth it. Brought it home Saturday.

So far it's been great save one weird gremlin that I'll have the dealer address at some point. When the mirrors unfold, my driver's mirror opens up, then kind of snaps back and sometimes goes past "open" back to about 1/3 folded. If I fold the mirrors back in with the button then open them again, that fixes it.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Got the real records for the more expensive, lower mileage blue car. It's maintained just as well, has less than half the miles, a much newer production date, is still under factory B2B warranty until next January, doesn't shift as harshly as the white one, and I ended up talking them down a chunk to the point where it was worth it. Brought it home Saturday.

So far it's been great save one weird gremlin that I'll have the dealer address at some point. When the mirrors unfold, my driver's mirror opens up, then kind of snaps back and sometimes goes past "open" back to about 1/3 folded. If I fold the mirrors back in with the button then open them again, that fixes it.
Congratulation on your purchase.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST

Welcome to the forum. On a side note, the dealer is replacing both my mirrors on my 2020 due to them being very jerky when they are folding or unfolding.

OP
jb.

jb.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #32
Welcome to the forum. On a side note, the dealer is replacing both my mirrors on my 2020 due to them being very jerky when they are folding or unfolding.
Thanks!

I'm guessing mine has the same problem.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thanks!

I'm guessing mine has the same problem.
I am kind of partial to white STs, anyways, somewhere I have read that mirrors may need to be reset if they have been pushed in manually, say at a car wash. You can also shut off the auto folding feature in the settings if you don't want them to fold in. Also see if the 1,2,3 settings have any impact on your mirror.