Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Thinking about an explorer ST

Reactions
Vehicle
XX-XX
Expecting first child, looking to upgrade to a bigger car, I currently have a Cadillac XT4 we are considering a 2020-2022 Explorer ST since it checks all of the boxes for us:
  • [x] 3rd row
  • [x] 5/5 Safety rating
  • [x] Fast
  • [x] Nice-ish interior
  • [x] Good supply of cars/parts which will decrease, hopefully the maintenance / headaches if we need to replace something in the future.
I'm planning on immediately (down)upgrading the 10 inch vertical screen to the 8" horizontal since I personally hate the portrait mode screen that ford put on those.
Is anything we should be aware maintenance wise, any problems with the explorers on those years we should check / be prepared for?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If you don't want to risk the previous owners not getting known problems fixed under warranty, get a MY2022. Even then, you may have to get the differential bushing/bolt recall and backup camera recall done. Also, the 10 to 8" downsize to me isn't worth it. Save your money on other mods.

OP
organiclatte
Reactions
Vehicle
XX-XX
Thread Starter #3
What other mods would you suggest?

There's a 1.9% APR on 23s I might be able to snag a good deal if I manage to convince the dealer to go a little under MSRP + that rate.
Is the 23 more flushed out in terms of recalls/production problems?

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Expecting first child, looking to upgrade to a bigger car, I currently have a Cadillac XT4 we are considering a 2020-2022 Explorer ST since it checks all of the boxes for us:
  • [x] 3rd row
  • [x] 5/5 Safety rating
  • [x] Fast
  • [x] Nice-ish interior
  • [x] Good supply of cars/parts which will decrease, hopefully the maintenance / headaches if we need to replace something in the future.
I'm planning on immediately (down)upgrading the 10 inch vertical screen to the 8" horizontal since I personally hate the portrait mode screen that ford put on those.
Is anything we should be aware maintenance wise, any problems with the explorers on those years we should check / be prepared for?
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST

There's a 1.9% APR on 23s I might be able to snag a good deal if I manage to convince the dealer to go a little under MSRP + that rate.
Welcome and good luck with purchase. Forum is great place for information and really puts vehicle under a microscope. No way to fully avoid potential issues with any car. Many owners have enjoyed their ST despite some recall's etc. Myself, I'm lucky enough to be counted in there.

Incredibly fun car to drive. Easy to get the family in and out of, kids or adults. Fast enough for my wife to get nervous when she drives and stylish enough I still look back when I park it. Look at the mods and time people have put into their ST's and you'll see why they're enthusiastic. Take the gripes with a grain of salt since this is platform can be a megaphone for something thats not necessarily a deal breaker for others.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
  • [x] 3rd row
  • [x] 5/5 Safety rating
  • [x] Fast
  • [x] Nice-ish interior
People have swapped the Aviator screen in and it is even better than the smaller 8” screen.

Yes they seemed to sort out the problems more. You do lose features do to chip shortsge. As long as the used vehicle has been maintained and still under warranty you can get the recalls done.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
  • [x] 3rd row
  • [x] 5/5 Safety rating
  • [x] Fast
  • [x] Nice-ish interior
Welcome to the forum and good luck with finding an ST for your family.

Involve your wife on the mods for your ST as it sounds like she will be the primary driver with a new baby, congrats on that. This forum has w wealth of information on whatever path you go down to mod your ST, from mild to wild. We have had fairly good luck with our '22 staying out of the shop other than the recalls.

Reactions
People have swapped the Aviator screen in and it is even better than the smaller 8” screen.
Interesting, i didnt think that was possible. Did someone post about it in this forum?

OP, you can also wait for the newer 2025 Explorer's with the refreshed interior. Should be hitting the lots later this year in Q2/Q3

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Interesting, i didnt think that was possible. Did someone post about it in this forum?
Yeah, someone posted. But the main problem is it looks MacGyver'd.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor

OP, you can also wait for the newer 2025 Explorer's with the refreshed interior. Should be hitting the lots later this year in Q2/Q3
Yes. Is actually very easy. There are quite a few people doing it on the Explorer ST FORUM on FaceBook.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
I was hesitant at 1st about the 10 inch screen. I love it it and would never use the 8.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I was hesitant at 1st about the 10 inch screen. I love it it and would never use the 8.
For me it’s good enough. I wish it was better but think it is better than the 8.

NYPigskin

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Same here. I'm hoping they come out with a software update that allows you to control what is on the screen.

hbalek

Reactions
Same here. I'm hoping they come out with a software update that allows you to control what is on the screen.
I'm pretty sure because of last year's serious Sync update issues, there won't be any more for the existing Sync 3 that we have. The new 2025 Explorers have Ford's new Digital Experience which is pure Google/Android and works better on a 14 inch horizontal or landscape screen. I'm looking forward to driving the 2025 to see if the new interior is worth the trade-in.