Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Thermal R&D 3inch won’t fit with SPD 3inch downpipes and mid pipes

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hi everyone I installed the new 3inch SPD downpipes with mid pipes and purchased the new Thermal R&D 3inch exhaust but the thermal won’t fit it’s about 5 inches short.

Anyone have this issue with aftermarket downpipes/mid pipes?

2022 ST

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #2
I can confirm after speaking with Victor from Thermal who quickly called me which was awesome of them great customer service. So you will need the exhaust shop to do a custom bridge to get the fitment correct from the resonator to the flex/mid pipes, which the benefit to that is with the 3 inch SPD downpipes and Flex/Mid pipes it will be a complete full 3 inch system with no OEM 2.25 adapter. Ill keep everyone posted after the install. Oh by the way I had to order two 3inch clamps to make this work because the other option is to weld the 3inch section but that makes it permanent the clamps don't.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Never plan for everything to fit when mating multiple aftermarket companies parts together. Always have a back up plan.

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Good advice and lesson learned im just glad I’ll be able to get it installed!!

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Update: I just got the thermal installed today to replace my Borla S Type, and it sounds amazing exactly what I was looking for, I got rid of thermals 2.25 inch adapter and did an entire 3inch from downpipes all the way through the exhaust.

So one thing after initially installing the SPD 3inch down pipes I developed a rattle/vibration with the Borla it seemed to me the Borla S-Type did not like that set up hence the rattle/vibration that would come and go super annoying. Now with the new Thermal installed the noise is gone which is why I figured it was the Borla. Anyhow now I have to put the Borla up for sale its only been two months since I purchased it stay tune for the sale post.

Last edited:

butt_yodel

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Update: I just got the thermal installed today and it sounds amazing exactly what I was looking for, I got rid of thermals 2.25 inch adapter and did an entire 3inch from downpipes all the way through the exhaust. So one thing after installing the SPD 3inch down pipes I developed a rattle/vibration it seemed to me the Borla S-Type did not like that set up hence the rattle/vibration that would come and go super annoying. Now the noise is gone which is why I figured it was the Borla. Anyhow now I have to put the Borla up for sale its only been two months since I purchased it stay tune for the sale post.
I get some vibration when my exhaust backs off and rubs against the OEM downpipe notch or the rear hangers. I had the notch removed, I think it's missing from the aftermarket stuff so shouldn't be an issue for you. With my thermal, the hangers on the mufflers back too far down and there is metal-on-metal contact with the bushing housing. I fix this by moving everything forward again and reclamping. Hope this helps if you run into any vibration issues again.

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Thanks for the tip I’ll keep that in mind I appreciate it!!