Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Thermal R&D 3in

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
3inch Exhaust is live on their website. Got the first order in for it! I will keep you posted

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Can't wait for first "butt dyno" post of 40+ hp. Probably another 3-4 mpg as well.

OP
W
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Can't wait for first "butt dyno" post of 40+ hp. Probably another 3-4 mpg as well.
I know it doesn’t add anything HP wise, the stock one is a joke though. Good to see a brand release a full 3 inch like @UNBROKEN said the 3 inch tone is much better.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I'd love to hear it.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I know it doesn’t add anything HP wise, the stock one is a joke though. Good to see a brand release a full 3 inch like @UNBROKEN said the 3 inch tone is much better.
I was probably overly dismissive of your purchase of a dual 3" exhaust system, mea culpa. If you're buying to make a nice noise, that's up to you. But the stock exhaust is not a joke. It is completely capable of flowing everything the stock turbos can handle and probably some to spare. I'm not singling anyone out who's looking to achieve their idea of the "sound" their vehicle should make, just trying to make sure the information is out there that unless you're going to upgrade turbos substantially, there are no horsepower benefits in swapping the stock exhaust. For approximately $2k, money is better spent on an intercooler and a tune.

OP
W
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
I was probably overly dismissive of your purchase of a dual 3" exhaust system, mea culpa. If you're buying to make a nice noise, that's up to you. But the stock exhaust is not a joke. It is completely capable of flowing everything the stock turbos can handle and probably some to spare. I'm not singling anyone out who's looking to achieve their idea of the "sound" their vehicle should make, just trying to make sure the information is out there that unless you're going to upgrade turbos substantially, there are no horsepower benefits in swapping the stock exhaust. For approximately $2k, money is better spent on an intercooler and a tune.
I didn’t say I bought it for HP gains, and I should of clarified my use of the word “joke”. Which it is, it sounds like junk, understandably it’s hard to make a eco boost sound good respectively without a complete overhaul. The gains of any would be moot and you’re right a tune and larger front mount would be a better starting place. My 05 Sti was fully built on e85 putting down close to 600 at the wheels. I wouldn’t say I know everything about building a car but I understand it’s a vacuum. Faster the air in, faster the air out. Since I have a 22’ with a 3
Bolt I’m not sure I want to tune it. We will see in a couple months, at least it will sound better in the mean time lol. If the downpipes were changed then there would be small net gains. I don’t think anyone is under the impression and exhaust is going to give you 40 hp

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yep, it's all about "vacuum".

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 ExST, '17 Raptor, '16 FoST, FFR Cobra
any dyno proof of power? for either 2.5" or 3" Thermal R&D?