Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Thermal mid pipes don’t connect to stock downpipes?

Zim

Reactions
Just got the 3” Thermal exhaust… Holy cow in the install video the mid pipes just slide right on with ease.

I can get it half way on and it gets seriously stuck and trying to get it back off is almost even harder.

havent heard anyone else with this issue?

quick responses would be nice! Gotta get to work tomorrow. lol

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Pipe expander rental from O’Rielly.

OP
Z

Zim

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Pipe expander rental from O’Rielly.
Just rented one! Omg awful experience driving with no exhaust on lmao

OP
Z

Zim

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
I’m really baffled by this.. I haven’t heard of this issue..

everyone says it’s such an easy install.. there was no way in hell you could slip the mid pipes over the stock downpipes.. the pipe expander ended up breaking so now I’ll have to take it to a shop. Real annoying.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I can't speak to this directly as I've only had the 2.5" Thermal set up but there were certainly no install issues with my set. Easy on, and I assume would be easy off should I have the need to take them off.

OP
Z

Zim

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
I can't speak to this directly as I've only had the 2.5" Thermal set up but there were certainly no install issues with my set. Easy on, and I assume would be easy off should I have the need to take them off.
So strange man. Just my luck. I tried lubing up the pipes too I could only get it half way in before it got ungodly tight.

I guess maybe it could be a 3” thing. ‍

zorro

U.S. Marine Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I just had the exact same issue (3 inch set) passenger side only. I called them and they claimed I was the first person with this issue ( yeah right) …

They hemmed and hawed, finally sent me a new pipe they said they tested before sending. They sent it next day got it in today - and same issue. Couldn’t get it down to the notch however, got it farther then the first one about a 1/4 of and inch from where it needed to be but had enough room to clamp it down.

I called them again to report the results and they said to take it to a muffler shop. Funny part is where it’s at it lines up with the mid muffler perfect. The drivers side that went on with difficulty but went over the notch was actually a 1/4 of and inch short of the front of the muffler where the one that’s not seated right lined right up. The band clamp covers the goof up. The rest of the pipes from the back of the mid muffler lined up perfectly.

I would not recommend these pipes until or unless they fix that issue … it was a real headache although customer service handled it - it wasn’t without a fight and they lied and said this was the first issue they’ve ever had and that clearly is not the case. If you decide to purchase I would have a shop install that way they have no excuses if shit doesn’t fit …‍♂️

One more thing my opinion: - the sound although is different than stock and the tips look a whole lot better it’s really not worth the money - if your thinking about this I would take a pass honestly…

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I had a similar issue but it wasnt one that a I couldnt overcome with a dead blow hammer. Much easier having it up on a buddies lift though.

OP
Z

Zim

Reactions
Thread Starter #9
I just had the exact same issue (3 inch set) passenger side only. I called them and they claimed I was the first person with this issue ( yeah right) …

They hemmed and hawed, finally sent me a new pipe they said they tested before sending. They sent it next day got it in today - and same issue. Couldn’t get it down to the notch however, got it farther then the first one about a 1/4 of and inch from where it needed to be but had enough room to clamp it down.

I called them again to report the results and they said to take it to a muffler shop. Funny part is where it’s at it lines up with the mid muffler perfect. The drivers side that went on with difficulty but went over the notch was actually a 1/4 of and inch short of the front of the muffler where the one that’s not seated right lined right up. The band clamp covers the goof up. The rest of the pipes from the back of the mid muffler lined up perfectly.

I would not recommend these pipes until or unless they fix that issue … it was a real headache although customer service handled it - it wasn’t without a fight and they lied and said this was the first issue they’ve ever had and that clearly is not the case. If you decide to purchase I would have a shop install that way they have no excuses if shit doesn’t fit …‍♂️

One more thing my opinion: - the sound although is different than stock and the tips look a whole lot better it’s really not worth the money - if your thinking about this I would take a pass honestly…
Ha that’s funny you said that. They also told me I was the first to report this issue and they never heard of this.

we ended up using a pipe expander, lots of lube and sanding any rust off the downpipe to slide it over top easier. But I’m really glad I’m not the first to experience this issue!!! Although I’m sorry you had to deal with it too lol.

I had to drive to work with no exhaust for a day and holy hell was it the most annoying experience of my life. ‍♂️

Explorer ST Posts