Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Thermal 3" Catback with Stock Downpipes, then CVFab Downpipes after?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I know...there are tons of exhaust posts, but can't find this exactly.

Anyone start with the Thermal 3" Catback with stock downpipes, then later add the CVFab Downpipes? I'm wondering how much louder it will be (if at all) swapping to aftermarket downpipes when I've already got the Thermal 3 in place. I realize it is subjective, but would love a little more turbo sound without getting much louder.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I'd like to hear the difference inside the vehicle.

Reactions
Vehicle
20' Explorer ST
I went the route of the Thermal R&D 2.5 cause I knew I didn't want to upgrade the downpipes at a laterpoint. I am curious to hear how it sounds like with stock vs CVF downpipes. I think I've read on here that some users have removed the downpipe afterwards due to it being louder than they wanted* but mileage may vary.

paSTa

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'm currently running stock downpipes with the 3in system, sounds awesome. Plan on doing the CVF downpipes soon once I get a tune

Reactions
I had stock downpipes with borla s type then got downpipes and it got a fair amount louder.

Now I have downpipes with thermal 3” and it’s louder than the borla stype in the cabin.

OP
C
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
I pulled the trigger and added the CVFab Catted Downpipes. It is definitely louder and does a little snap-cracking, but it isn't obnoxious. I have no tune. I'm pretty happy with the sound.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
How did the sound change inside the vehicle?

OP
C
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
It is a little louder, but only under load in sport mode. Highway cruising isn't bad at all. Disclaimer, I am old and maybe part deaf :)

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Did the thermal mate correctly with the CVF downpipes? no adding extension pipes to make it work? Im thinking about going this route once I get my downpipes installed.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer ST
Did the thermal mate correctly with the CVF downpipes? no adding extension pipes to make it work? Im thinking about going this route once I get my downpipes installed.
Yes the thermal 3in mates up perfectly to the Cvf downpipes. They fit together pretty darn snug so you may need alil elbow grease. I will say no way in hell is the pipe gonna work its way loose like the oem downpipe to aftermarket midpipe will as the Cvf doesn’t have the little nub on it so they go on deeper. Which makes sense as the Cvf downpipes are a bit longer than oem.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Perfect! I just pulled the trigger on the 2.5. according to the website it should mate up fine too.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer ST
Perfect! I just pulled the trigger on the 2.5. according to the website it should mate up fine too.
Why the 2.5 if you don’t mind me asking? The 3in for me was pretty darn quiet, I added the downpipes a week later and it’s about as loud as I thought the 3in alone would be. For a point of reference the 3in turbo back on the st,is like 75 % as loud as my 21 sti with a 3in catback.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Dont mind at all! Decided 2.5 due to having the downpipes installed with the exhaust I didnt want it to loud for the wife haha. According to the description on the site (whoosh) it should be downpipe back so including mids (flex pipes) if im not mistaken?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer ST
Dont mind at all! Decided 2.5 due to having the downpipes installed with the exhaust I didnt want it to loud for the wife haha. According to the description on the site (whoosh) it should be downpipe back so including mids (flex pipes) if im not mistaken?
Got it, volume wise the at is a very quiet vehicle modded or not, it I will say with the 2.5 you will probably get was less drone from the downpipes. I only notice the drone going up hill on my 3in.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Nice! Yeah minimal to no drone will be great! That's the only thing I was worried about installing the exhaust with the downpipes. Thanks for the feedback!

Explorer ST Posts