Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Thermal 2.5" vs 3"?

Reactions
Has anybody heard both in person? What are the differences in sound level, tone, drone?

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 ExST, '17 Raptor, '16 FoST, FFR Cobra
here's my 2.5

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
That's the one I ordered this week. Any drone at all?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Haven’t heard the 3” in person, but just installed the 2.5” with CVF downpipes on mine and absolutely love it. Great sound, not too loud, and no drone.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Haven’t heard the 3” in person, but just installed the 2.5” with CVF downpipes on mine and absolutely love it. Great sound, not too loud, and no drone.
Thanks. The downpipes may get added to my list.

Reactions
Best part of the Thermal is how easy it is to install. I did mine today and once the old exhaust was off, it was maybe 45 minutes to put the thermal on with the ST on ramps. First car part I've ever installed without the use of curse words.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thermal v. Borla S-Type: which is louder? I want something that sounds better than stock but is not too loud in the cab. Thx

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Thermal v. Borla S-Type: which is louder? I want something that sounds better than stock but is not too loud in the cab. Thx
Borla is louder.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Just got my ST back from the mechanic, 2.5 Thermal installed. The sound is just sexy as hell... Like others said no drone at any speed up to 120.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have 3in w/stock down pipes and disabled FENG and it sounds perfect

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Here’s a couple revs of my Thermal 2.5” with CVF downpipes. Going to work on getting some videos while driving to show how good it sounds.

Reactions
Vehicle
20' Explorer ST
I appreciate this. I ordered this solely because of this sound clip! Arrives next week. I have done research with it on stock downpipes (which Is 100% fine for me). I'm glad that their is no drone, I talked to Thermal R&D, and he mentioned that If you want to upgrade downpipes later, they recommend 3" but the reassured me if you "Step" on the accelerator you'll hear the exhaust! LOL. Pumped fr something that isn't the stock one.

Reactions
Vehicle
21 Explorer ST
I have the 2.5 with stock downpipes. Need to disable the FENG today so I can hear it without the fake noise. I really enjoy the cold starts. Also the staggered tips look amazing.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Since this came back up I figured I'd post another video that I took. CVF Downpipes to Thermal 2.5"

Explorer ST Posts