Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Thermal 2.5" exhaust

Reactions
Anyone out there have the Thermal exhaust without resonators and have downpipes ?

Reactions
I have SPD's and am replacing my stock Mid-pipes with the Thermal Mids. Just haven't had a chance to install it yet.

You're going to have to cut/expand!weld the 3" SPD's which are built to direct-bolt-on to stock 2.25" system... The Thermal is a 2.5" set-up.

I also Already have Borla S-Type's on it so I will also need to reduce from 2.5" to Borla's 2.25".

Kind of a customized/Frankenstein of existing after market exhaust components, but I already had the DP's and Borla installed. With the, Whipple and Tune...the stock Flex Pipes rattle like Maracas

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
So you are going from 3" to 2.5" to 2.25"

Reactions
Correct... specifically due to the fact that I already dropped $1,500 on the Borla S-Type's (with Install) AND $1,400 on the SPD's (Installed 30 days later due to back order).

The 1st run Borla's in July 2020 had a few issues:

1. Bolt Contact Fitment issues with the mufflers scraping against the subframe bolts.

2. Resonator Defect where ALL of the fiberglass packing deteriorated over 3 months causing drone and it to sound waaayyy louder than it should have. (*** Due to these issue Borla gave me a Completely "Re-engineered" Warranty replacement - supposedly fixing their known defects.)

3. With the addition of the High Flow Catted SPD DP's...the already known Ford Factory Flex Joint rattle with a TSB in Nov 2020, became markedly worse, making it sound like a tin can POS Honda Hooptie!

I tried several cheap solves to mitigate the rattle/contact issues with no luck getting the sound profile/quality of exhaust system to be acceptable to me. (For the price point I paid and well known vendors I bought from)

I researched just swapping out/welding in Vibrant Resonators and upgrading the Flex Joint to a more rigid Performance Product...but for the costs of materials/Install....it made more sense to go with the complete Thermal Mids.

In retrospect - a full Custom 3" exhaust would have been right the option.

BUT the path I took led me down the Frankenstein approach of mating SPD(3") to Thermal Mids (2.5") to the Borla (2.25").

Now I just need to get it all Installed and will Report back with the results.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk