Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Thermal 2.5 and P2096?

Reactions
Only mods currently are SPD Downpipes and a Thermal R&D system.

Wondering if it is coincidence or if the addition of a Thermal R&D 2.5 inch system could have caused code P2096.

Installed a Thermal R&D 2.5 exhaust and changed the air filter on Saturday. Today (Tuesday) code P2096 popped up on my way home. Could the addition of the much more free flowing exhaust have allowed the lean condition since the stock exhaust slowed the flow enough for the O2 sensors to work correctly?

possibly useless info: The SPD downpipes have been on since December 2021 with a ZFG daily driver tune for most of that time. The Stock tune was installed about 6 months ago and is still being used. I have been pulling trailers more lately so I didn't want to stress the trans towing with the ZFG tune.

Code description:
The code P2096, post catalyst fuel trim system too lean on bank 1 simply translates to a lean

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p2096
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Check your air filter install.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I received my SPD 3" down pipes and Thermal 3" cat-back today. Saw this post and wondering if the code cleared or is it still an issue?

OP
R
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I received my SPD 3" down pipes and Thermal 3" cat-back today. Saw this post and wondering if the code cleared or is it still an issue?
It's still an issue. I clear the code in the morning and it pops up on the way home. I'm going to slide back under it this weekend to look for leaks around the downpipes.

I don't think it's actually running lean since the exhaust pops when I'm coasting and I believe that takes more fuel.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Doesn't have anything to do with air filter or exhaust flow speed. Popping sound on deceleration shows exhaust leak on bank 1. Installing the exhaust may have compromised cat connection at turbo or midpipes.

Last edited:
Reactions
Double check all the connections. Did you install an O2 spacer?

OP
R
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Doesn't have anything to do with air filter or exhaust flow speed. Popping sound on deceleration shows exhaust leak on bank 1. Installing the exhaust may have compromised cat connection at turbo or midpipes.
Hopefully it is the connection from the midpipe to downpipe. The clamp pictured wouldn't go any tighter. I could still twist the pipe if I loosened the connection on the other end. I happened to have some of the older U-bolt style on the shelf.

Double check all the connections. Did you install an O2 spacer?
Hopefully connections have been fixed and no, there are no O2 spacers.

I cleared the code. Pending and stored. The Permanent one should clear once the system has deemed it is fixed correct?

clamp.jpg

Attachments

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hopefully it is the connection from the midpipe to downpipe.
that wouldn't trigger code

OP
R
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
that wouldn't trigger code
I also took the downpipes down and put them back up. Hopefully something will fix the issue. I will drive it a few days and recheck the bolts holding the downpipe to the turbo. Will update either way. Who knows, it may need O2 spacers and/or sensors.

OP
R
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
UPDATE: P2096 is cleared! ALL last week the code was Pending, active and permanent. Put the stock exhaust back on without changing anything and the pending code went away on the ride to work on the 11th. Cleared the active code on my lunch and the permanent code cleared on the way home. No more Thermal, no more code.

It worked out for the best I guess since I didn't like the way the thermal sounded when accelerating. Sounded GREAT when at idle and I couldn't really hear it when cruising on the interstate but when accelerating...it was not a sound I wanted. I gave myself 2 weeks of it to see if I would like it. Nope.

Keep an eye out in the for sale section for a gently used, 2-week old Thermal R&D 2.5" system.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
No offense intended. I can believe that the downpipes might throw a code. I can't imagine that the exhaust system was the culprit. There's something else going on here.

OP
R
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
No offense intended. I can believe that the downpipes might throw a code. I can't imagine that the exhaust system was the culprit. There's something else going on here.
No offense taken. I am puzzled as to why a change of exhaust would cause the CEL.

I feel like it could be a flow/backpressure issue. IF there is a leak upstream of the O2 sensor, could the free flowing exhaust have allowed fresh air into the system to cause the code whereas the slightly more resistive stock exhaust had enough backpressure to prevent the inflow of air? I think Bernoulli's principle might be what I'm thinking of for the Thermal.

I'm grasping at straws but will still be getting rid of the Thermal due to the dislike of the sound.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
No need to grasp at straws. It isn't a back pressure issue or flow issue. The only possible explanation is an exhaust leak. You tightened down the clamps on the Thermal, but I'm betting it still wasn't sealed. There are other threads and posts that have found it a problem to get a tight fit.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer St
I have just received spd downpipes only and was wondering how you got them attached to the thermal midpipes in the exhaust kit. Did you need to use a 3" to 2.5 reducer to go from dp to midpipe?