Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

The "Space GhoST" has lost its powers....

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Not sure if my trickle charger is working correctly, but after using a trickle charger and the battery is “charged”, how much voltage does your battery read? My tender is supposed to be a smart one and will switch to a “charged” mode when I guess it’s just that, charged. But even after 16 hrs on it, it still reads as charging. I unhooked it and it read 13.1. Should it be going that high?

of note, I’m glad this is the minor thing I’m worrying about on my ST lol
13.1 V is on the high side. Normal should be about 12.5 V. Did you test it right after removing your charger? I would test it after about a hour after unhooking it.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
13.1 V is on the high side. Normal should be about 12.5 V. Did you test it right after removing your charger? I would test it after about a hour after unhooking it.
Oh yeah I did test it right after removing it. I will try that.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
All this talk about charging the battery on the ST kind of makes me think we are talking about my son's Chinese ATV, as it needs to be charged up every so often. Just make sure your alternator is putting out 14+ volts and everything should be fine. If your battery goes much below mid 12 volts after sitting for awhile, you either have a bad battery or something causing a drain on the battery.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
All this talk about charging the battery on the ST kind of makes me think we are talking about my son's Chinese ATV, as it needs to be charged up every so often. Just make sure your alternator is putting out 14+ volts and everything should be fine. If your battery goes much below mid 12 volts after sitting for awhile, you either have a bad battery or something causing a drain on the battery.
Let me be clear. My ST runs fine and I have no issues with my battery technically. Just no ASS. Which is fine. And perhaps since everything else is fine, I’ve been focusing on the battery.
Of note, my charger did switch to charge and checking it an hour later, 12.86.

Reactions
I’m going to try the “battery repair” feature on my Genius charger. We’ll see if it helps it maintain voltage any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Quick follow up, the battery repair option seemed to do a little something. Previously after a “full charge” with the 2amp charger would yield 12.6x volts. After running the repair, it’s 12.8x after letting it sit for about an hour.

I’ve had pretty good luck with the battery repair on smaller lead-acid batteries (sleds, Quads, etc), but first time trying with a Glass Mat battery.

Time will tell if it makes any meaningful difference though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Since using the BatterfyMinder on mine the ASS has been working like it should. Been close to a month now so it appears to have repaired the battery. Will be using it again soon.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My start stop turned on while sitting the drive through last night. Startled me actually lol. This morning it worked at every light.

I will say, this past week I’ve done more driving than normal. Took the family to Hershey park which was a 3 hr round trip drive and jsut a little more prolonged around the town driving than usual.

Guessing that between the warmer weather and extra driving, it finally clicked over.