Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Thanks everyone for reporting the recent influx of spammers

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who recently reported the latest influx of spammers. Apparently, these spammers are using AI to circumvent our spam filters and are posting in the middle of the night.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
One of the old web forums I used to own got so bad we basically had to do IP bans on whole countries. lol

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
A few years ago I was a moderator on a forum and the admin refused to implement any spam blockers or filters, needless to say the site was so over run with spam it had to be shut down. While it was still active, I would delete a spam post and 20 more would appear. It got so bad I walked away and just let them spam take over. I checked up on it about 6 months later and the site no longer existed. Whenever I see spam, I try to report it right away, otherwise it can get out of hand and I've seen first hand what out of control spam can do.

OP
STFan

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
One of the old web forums I used to own got so bad we basically had to do IP bans on whole countries. lol
Yeah I'm tempted to ban all posts from Eastern Europe lol.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I report every one of those SOB's I see. Figure it makes your job as admin a little bit easier. And thank you for the job you do.

OP
STFan

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
I report every one of those SOB's I see. Figure it makes your job as admin a little bit easier. And thank you for the job you do.
Appreciate you for doing that.

OP
STFan

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
A few years ago I was a moderator on a forum and the admin refused to implement any spam blockers or filters, needless to say the site was so over run with spam it had to be shut down. While it was still active, I would delete a spam post and 20 more would appear. It got so bad I walked away and just let them spam take over. I checked up on it about 6 months later and the site no longer existed. Whenever I see spam, I try to report it right away, otherwise it can get out of hand and I've seen first hand what out of control spam can do.
Yeah it doesn't take very long when it's coming from bots.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
On that old forum, it was a multi step process to block and delete a spam post. In the time it took me to block and delete one single post, there was literally 20 more. Once I realized the spam was deterring real members from commenting or making posts that is when I started losing faith. It wasn't much longer when I just walked away.

R2D2

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I think new members should not be allowed to post directly. Moderate the first 10 posts minimum, before they can directly post to the full members.

I know, it's additional work for the admins, but definitely works against these bots and spammers.

OP
STFan

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
I think new members should not be allowed to post directly. Moderate the first 10 posts minimum, before they can directly post to the full members.

I know, it's additional work for the admins, but definitely works against these bots and spammers.
Currently it does do that but only if it detects certain spam phrases.

OP
STFan

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
On that old forum, it was a multi step process to block and delete a spam post. In the time it took me to block and delete one single post, there was literally 20 more. Once I realized the spam was deterring real members from commenting or making posts that is when I started losing faith. It wasn't much longer when I just walked away.
Yeah I can see that, curious what was the name of the old forum and what forum software was it using?

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I don't remember the exact name, but it was a ford only forum that covered everything from trucks to mustangs, suv's, and classics.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I didn't write the software, but with a hundred lines of code or less I imagine it could be easily fixed. I'd approach the problem as not allowing new threads or posts to be created by any member except over a certain time period within a certain number of posts. That would allow the moderator to adjust parameters. For example, if you have less than (50) posts, you can only open (1) thread every (1) hour. Those three variables would stop this stuff without punishing members. Talk to the guys who sell you the software. For spammers, anyone under 10 posts are limited to opening 1 thread per day.

Explorer ST Posts