Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Terrible weekend with catastrophic ST failure

OP
Chaseg08

Chaseg08

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #41
Started a new job and haven't had time to catch up until now. I decided to just replaced the battery and in the process I noticed that the two cables on the positive-side distribution block, closest to the front of the vehicle, are mounted to a separate piece of metal that simply sits on top of the the rest of the distribution block and is secured down with a nut. When I disassembled the cowl and got to the battery, there were three nuts missing off the distribution block. One of those missing nuts was supposed to be holding the distribution block together. The other two didn't have anything connected and are just extra terminals. It's been three weeks since I cleaned it up and put nuts back where they are supposed to be and the issue hasn't come back. I suspect that was the direct cause of all of this. The distribution block wasn't making contact or the connection was intermittent. The Motorcraft battery I removed has passed testing at the dealership and at the auto parts store but I wanted to replace it anyway. It's a shame that the Ford tech couldn't figure this out and I wish I had dug into this earlier. Next time you have the cowl apart, make sure all the hardware on the battery is tight. I should have done that when I installed my amp power cable. I probably could have prevented all of this and the Ford tech should have solved this problem within 5 minutes of having it apart.

Reactions
Vehicle
2002 Ford Mustang
WOW... That's rough. Hopefully that's the fix, though.