Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tailgate hatch several issues

Reactions
My tailgate is presenting a few different issues.
1. intermittently it will only open half way even after several reprograms with the button
2. It has reopened itself a few times on it's own a few seconds after closing.
3. the foot sensor doesn't work intermittently

I thought I heard there was a TSB to re-program the tailgate control module but can't find any post on it. I took it to the dealership and they gave it back with a "no problem found could not replicate" which I find hard to believe as my issues happen about 40-50% of the time. Before I go back and raise hell wanted to check if anyone knows this TSB

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
I haven’t had any problems with my tailgate however be careful when you pull in the garage if your tailgate is opening on its own it may open into the garage door and scratch the back of your vehicle. I have read many post that have had that problem.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have also had the "half open" problem on two occasions. No reason why that I'm aware of, unless there's some type of sensor that is trying to limit damage?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Mine does the 'half open' trick intermittently as well. Probably 1 out of 8 opens. While it is mildly annoying, I just reset it and good to go. While my Highlanders did not have this issue, the tailgate opened soo slowly I could go get some coffee and come back. I'll take the quirky Ford half opening issue over the Toyota 'watch the grass grow' slow open every time :) As it is one of those "no problem found could not replicate" issue, maybe try taking a video or pics to the dealer next time.

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Related issue:
Someone changed the height it opens to, it's too low, I read up how you can change it to open lower, but nothing about how to restore original height... Removing the fuse or disco'ing the battery doesn't reset it.
I did try pushing up on it when it was open, but there was more resistance than I felt comfortable messing with.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Related issue:
Someone changed the height it opens to, it's too low, I read up how you can change it to open lower, but nothing about how to restore original height... Removing the fuse or disco'ing the battery doesn't reset it.
I did try pushing up on it when it was open, but there was more resistance than I felt comfortable messing with.
Lift the gate to the desired height, then press and hold the open/close button on the gate until you hear a beep. Done. Owner s guide pg. 76

OP
bender953
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Well back to the dealership for the 3rd time. Still intermittently only opening half way. Seems to happen when using the foot sensor or tailgate button. No rhyme or reason as to when it does it. Works fine other times. They supposedly did the TSB last time.