Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tail light won't go back in

Reactions
Epic fail on my part today, removed the taillights to install LEDs, and now it won't go back in.
The bottom clip is either broken, or it just won't go back in for some reason.

Anyone else have this problem? Or did I just eff my car up?

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #2
Don't do what I did guys, $40 worth of LEDs is now a $65k SUV that needs to go to the dealer for a new tail light

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Don't do what I did guys, $40 worth of LEDs is now a $65k SUV that needs to go to the dealer for a new tail light

Damn dude ... sorry about that

2020 Explorer ST - Storm Trooper Build

Borla S-Type Exhaust | SPD Downpipes | Vossen HF-5 | Michelin PSS Tires | Speeda Rear Sway | Turbosmart BOV | Rear Wiper Delete | Clear Bra | Tinted Headlights | H&R Springs | Custom Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel | Custom Front and Rear Emblems

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
What happened that you have to buy a new tail light? did you break a retainer clip or something?

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
This was the install from hell lol.
I don't know why I had such a hard time with it
Dropped this when I was putting it back in, it's somewhere in the bottom of the car, and I don't know how to get all the trim pieces off to retrieve it.

I'm hoping if I can get a new one it will hold the tail light in place, I really don't want to buy a new one.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
This was the install from hell lol.
I don't know why I had such a hard time with it
Dropped this when I was putting it back in, it's somewhere in the bottom of the car, and I don't know how to get all the trim pieces off to retrieve it.

I'm hoping if I can get a new one it will hold the tail light in place, I really don't want to buy a new one.

There is a little 2” x 2” cut out in the trim. Pop that off to get to where that piece goes

Follow both sides

Borla S-Type Exhaust | SPD Downpipes | Vossen HF-5 | Michelin PSS Tires | Speeda Rear Sway | Turbosmart BOV | Rear Wiper Delete | Clear Bra | Tinted Headlights | H&R Springs | Custom Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel | Custom Front and Rear Emblems

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
https://m.northerntool.com/shop/too...MIrLfxtryi6wIVCNbACh00TAOHEAQYAiABEgIdN_D_BwE

Go buy one of this ... life savers

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
There is a little 2” x 2” cut out in the trim. Pop that off to get to where that piece goes

Follow both sides

It dropped down behind the trim somewhere, problem is I can't even see it... So I'm not sure how far down it dropped

I'm hoping I can take all the trim pieces off to get to it.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
It’s not to bad pulling it off.

Maybe bang on some of the panels to see if it moves and you can local the area.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
For the record though... I got some awesome led bulbs off amazon for $50 Canadian, let's just hope they don't end up costing me a new tail light assembly

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Hopefully I can find the bolt that I dropped, apparently there isn't any stock of this available, and unknown if they can even get one.

Same day delivery with Amazon prime FTW, hopefully I can find it with that claw extractor

Last edited: