Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tail light difference

Reactions
Vehicle
20 Platinum
So I got hit or something. Drivers tail light is cracked in the corner with what looks like an impact point. I don't think it's going to let water in or anything and everything functions fine but I hate looking at it.

I have a 2020 platinum. Are the xlt, limited and platinum tail lights 20-22 all the same? Is the ST the only one that is different?

I see some listed with police package. Anyone know what that means?

If I can find a used or aftermarket set of the st lights I may do that. New is 4-500 each regardless of model but you can find aftermarket or used for less. Chinese specials are always a gamble but I've used them in the past with other vehicles with no real issues.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I think at least all of the civilian explorer models have the same tailight and design.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
ST is darker than the others. That’s all I’m aware of as far as differences.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
So I got hit or something. Drivers tail light is cracked in the corner with what looks like an impact point. I don't think it's going to let water in or anything and everything functions fine but I hate looking at it.

I have a 2020 platinum. Are the xlt, limited and platinum tail lights 20-22 all the same? Is the ST the only one that is different?

If I can find a used or aftermarket set of the st lights I may do that. New is 4-500 each regardless of model but you can find aftermarket or used for less. Chinese specials are always a gamble but I've used them in the past with other vehicles with no real issues.
Police only light housing have special "Knockouts" for installation of emergency lighting modules. Headlights and taillights. The Police only headlight housing has no LED strip because that's where the thin emergency red/blue LED lights go.

This makes it very easy for the Ford Mod Center to do the upfitting, instead of the old school approach of drilling out the back of the housing then vacuuming out the debris and trying to seal it properly.

Attachments

Reactions

The tail lights are 595 in case you were wondering...... thats from ford..... 3rd day out purchase....

RJS

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer
Thought the same way when I found a crack in the rear LED tail light on my Ram pickup. A year or so later I started getting signals on the dash about issues with the tail light. It finally got so bad I replaced the light with a new one. I decided to see what was wrong with the old light so I opened it up and much to my surprise a few ounces of water poured out.

Bottom line, even though the crack was hardly visible there was enough air exchange and carwash trips to allow moisture to build up over time and damage the internals.