Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sync 4 Upgrade for 2020 Explorer

Reactions

Swan

Reactions
It appears to be set up for it, with the vertical large screen. I’ll be pissed if we can’t upgrade.

Reactions
I hope Ford doesn't screw over the early adopters and say our system isn't upgradeable.

Reactions
Has anyone confirmed if we do get the Sync 4 update?

NeilD

Reactions
This paragraph was in an article in Forbes on Sync 4 and OTA updates.
At the least, it's a sign that the 2020 Explorer ST that is OTA equipped stands a chance to update to Sync 4.

Supporting OTA updates required some substantial updates to the electrical and electronic architecture to execute updates reliably. That means existing vehicles won’t this get capability until they get a major hardware update, so Explorer and Escape customers will have to wait a few years. For the new models that do support it, Ford has incorporated a system that actually downloads and installs updates in the background similar to the way Chromebook computers and most smartphones do today.
Here's the link to the full article.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabu...nment-and-ota-updates-from-2020/#47a085655c0c

Reactions
In a Facebook forum someone got in touch with Ford R&D and learned that there are no plans to allow a retrofit.

Swan

Reactions
I’m skeptical of that report. The vertical screen is chosen for Sync4–look at all the images of S4 online. It is clunky as hell with sync3. Not thought out for vertical space. I think we will be able to upgrade.

Reactions
I tend to agree with you here. I actually have a hypothesis that sync 4 was originally intended to come out w 2020 explorer. I think that when Mach E came into the picture they pushed back launch to cooincide with Mach E.

What we do know is that the Sync 4 system is much more robust in the hardware department. So, does the 2020 come shipped with Sync 4 ready hardware that is running Sync 3?

Reactions
I tend to agree with you here. I actually have a hypothesis that sync 4 was originally intended to come out w 2020 explorer. I think that when Mach E came into the picture they pushed back launch to cooincide with Mach E.

What we do know is that the Sync 4 system is much more robust in the hardware department. So, does the 2020 come shipped with Sync 4 ready hardware that is running Sync 3?
We can only hope. Sync 3 is close to worthless.

merco

Reactions
Dear Ford Software: I've taken the liberty of designing how I think the reverse screen should look to take advantage of the portrait monitor. We should be able to touch any view to have it take over the entire screen. You're welcome!

Attachments

STO

Reactions
Hopefully they listen because it's basically using 5"

Reactions
All the above - how about a word from Ford?

PJ [lovest]

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Any updates on this? This would be terrible if we can’t upgrade to synch 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
From what I have been reading, it’s also a hardware update. Not sounding good for us.

Reactions
I believe the 10” display is capable and planned for the upgrades. At least that’s what I was told by Ford at the Portland International Auto Show.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
That would be great. Do you know where I can find an article or more info on this?

KegsBdry

Reactions
Not looking good for all of us who got our vehicles prior to the release of Synch 4.

https://www.kbb.com/articles/car-news/ford-launches-sync-4/

From that article, it ends saying: "Ford says it expects to begin delivering OTA updates about six months after launching its first vehicles with that capability in 2020." Has SYNC 4 launched yet or is the system in any new vehicle yet?

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Not sure if it’s been released yet but the statement “Unfortunately, 2020 models sold before the Sync 4 release next year will not be able to be upgraded to run the new system” is what I was referring too. That’s frustrating.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'd be extremely surprised if 2021 Explorer gets Sync 4. Ford has it's hands full just producing these. It's been almost a year and no OTA updates? Sync 3/carplay/android auto still buggy as hell and unoptimized?

I wouldn't feel bad. The Explorer will likely get Sync 4 at the mid-cycle refresh. That's a long ways off.