Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Surprise to us!

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Just got our first ST. My in-laws came over the other night and told my wife and I to sit on the couch we had to have a talk. They proceeded to tell us something and they would like to give us a new car, no one is sick, dying or getting a divorce in case you might be wondering. They ended up giving us a 2023 explorer st, title in hand. Now, I'm looking at doing a few things the vehicle in the future. First I want to do some lowering spring cause that wheel gap is terrible, only worried about snow clearance and if the ride is gonna suck. I'm looking at steeda springs. Second, looking for an exhaust. I was thinking magna flow cause we do lots of highway driving and cant handle the drone but someone on Facebook posted me 2.5inch thermal exhaust. Last I want a tuner for slightly more power and that's where I'm lost cause there are so many options. 1000009816.jpg

Last edited:

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Congrats!

Reactions
You wont be sorry about the Thermal 2.5 inch system. Great sound and looks. Zero drone at any speed. Congrats!

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I agree on the steeda springs and the thermal 2.5 exhaust. As for tuning look at https://www.tunedbyzfgracing.com/ he is the GOAT when it comes to tuning the explorer ST, no need to look at anyone else. Also, look into getting a bigger intercooler, if you want to make more boost, you will eventually need one.

F=MA

Reactions
Spent a lot of time in Minot in the past. Lived across the border in Sask. but moved to Kansas years ago. H&R springs and Thermal R&D 2.5 inch exhaust is pretty much the norm. Search for H&R versus Steeda spring writeup in this forum. If your not going to road race your ST then get the H&R springs. Some with Steeda springs also have had strut leak issues which could be related to the Steeda's more progressive spring rate. H&R springs will give you a similar gap front and back, i.e. tends to level the ST front to back. The gap over the rear tires with Steeda springs can sometimes be noticeably taller which may visually bother some folks. If you tow a lot you may need the stiffer Steeda springs. Stay away from Magnaflow exhaust unless you want a drone on the highway in 9th and 10th gear. Magnaflow has 409 stainless steel which rusts faster than the 304 stainless steel used on Borla and Thermal exhausts. No drone with Borla S Type or Thermal exhaust. I would avoid other partial exhaust systems as they have a good chance of drone also. The Borla exhaust has a smaller 2.25 diameter pipe, does not include the mid pipes and has some harsh turns into the rear muffler which makes the driver side rear tailpipe hang down making it more visible than the Thermal. The Thermal is a full 2.5 inch exhaust that includes the mid pipes and is cheaper than the Borla. The sound of both are similar with the Borla perhaps a bit lower sounding. ZFG for tuning. If you can access E85 and E30 you can mix 50/50 for E40 to E60 without checking the mix. Best hp gain at this stage. That would be an E50 tune from ZFG. If you need to travel around in the vehicle and don't know what fuel may be available when travelling I believe you can get a multi-tune now so different drive modes will have different tunes assigned to them. ZFG for this also.

F=MA

Reactions
Does you wife have a sister:ROFLMAO:.

OP
mitchkeller87
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
Does you wife have a sister:ROFLMAO:.
Stay away from that one, plus she's married

OP
mitchkeller87
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
Spent a lot of time in Minot in the past. Lived across the border in Sask. but moved to Kansas years ago. H&R springs and Thermal R&D 2.5 inch exhaust is pretty much the norm. Search for H&R versus Steeda spring writeup in this forum. If your not going to road race your ST then get the H&R springs. Some with Steeda springs also have had strut leak issues which could be related to the Steeda's more progressive spring rate. H&R springs will give you a similar gap front and back, i.e. tends to level the ST front to back. The gap over the rear tires with Steeda springs can sometimes be noticeably taller which may visually bother some folks. If you tow a lot you may need the stiffer Steeda springs. Stay away from Magnaflow exhaust unless you want a drone on the highway in 9th and 10th gear. Magnaflow has 409 stainless steel which rusts faster than the 304 stainless steel used on Borla and Thermal exhausts. No drone with Borla S Type or Thermal exhaust. I would avoid other partial exhaust systems as they have a good chance of drone also. The Borla exhaust has a smaller 2.25 diameter pipe, does not include the mid pipes and has some harsh turns into the rear muffler which makes the driver side rear tailpipe hang down making it more visible than the Thermal. The Thermal is a full 2.5 inch exhaust that includes the mid pipes and is cheaper than the Borla. The sound of both are similar with the Borla perhaps a bit lower sounding. ZFG for tuning. If you can access E85 and E30 you can mix 50/50 for E40 to E60 without checking the mix. Best hp gain at this stage. That would be an E50 tune from ZFG. If you need to travel around in the vehicle and don't know what fuel may be available when travelling I believe you can get a multi-tune now so different drive modes will have different tunes assigned to them. ZFG for this also.
With us traveling o would do an 87/91 tune. We have e85 here so thats not a problem. Just thing to give it a little more power. I'll look into H&R, hopefully the snow we get some years won't be a problem.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Just got our first ST. My in-laws came over the other night and told my wife and I to sit on the couch we had to have a talk. They proceeded to tell us something and they would like to give us a new car, no one is sick, dying or getting a divorce in case you might be wondering. They ended up giving us a 2023 explorer st, title in hand. Now, I'm looking at doing a few things the vehicle in the future. First I want to do some lowering spring cause that wheel gap is terrible, only worried about snow clearance and if the ride is gonna suck. I'm looking at steeda springs. Second, looking for an exhaust. I was thinking magna flow cause we do lots of highway driving and cant handle the drone but someone on Facebook posted me 2.5inch thermal exhaust. Last I want a tuner for slightly more power and that's where I'm lost cause there are so many options. View attachment 21718
Congrats on your great gift and welcome to the forum. Since you don't have a car note, this frees up some cash for upgrades.

OP
mitchkeller87
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
Congrats on your great gift and welcome to the forum. Since you don't have a car note, this frees up some cash for upgrades.
I wish I had extra money right now to buy parts. I bought a new to me diesel truck last year and the engine blew 5 months after buying it so I'm in severe debt with that truck. I now have a vehicle I can't drive because there's no used engines or remanufactured ones out there but a brand new one from the dealership installed is 30 grand! So the truck sits

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I wish I had extra money right now to buy parts. I bought a new to me diesel truck last year and the engine blew 5 months after buying it so I'm in severe debt with that truck. I now have a vehicle I can't drive because there's no used engines or remanufactured ones out there but a brand new one from the dealership installed is 30 grand! So the truck sits
Yikes. Sorry about the truck.

There is nothing wrong with the stock ST. Enjoy.