Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Stupid question

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Hello All, I just purchased my explorer over a month ago. I haven't driven it in over a month as well. When I wanted to listed to Apple CarPlay I would have to use a cord. I drove it today for the first time in over a month and it just stared playing. Is this a new software that installs automatically. Again, newbie here to ford?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
If you mean it played wirelessly…that’s not possible. If you mean it was plugged in and just started playing…that’s normal.

AOSRYJP

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 Explorer ST - Agate Black
I could have also just been playing through bluetooth and not connected to CarPlay. Mine does the same thing.

OP
W
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #4
Yeah, maybe it was connected trough Bluetooth. I was playing Spotify without having the cord plugged into the phone!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
With Android Auto I can take or make calls and play music isung Bluetooth, if I want to use Google Maps or other apps my phone must be connected by USB.

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
FWIW, I bought the entry level Magic Box for Android Auto (they make one for Carplay too). It works great to make Android Auto wireless when get into the car. Sometimes it takes a second for the phone to connect to it, but once I got it installed, it works great and is a nice plug and play conversion for the ~$80 I spent on it. (I didn't go for the one that does netflix, etc. b/c1)I don't want to crash and die and 2)our stupid screens are mounted vertically...)

hbalek

Reactions
I never use AndroidAuto because I don't want to connect the cable every day. Also Android Auto and Carplay have a half screen for the maps which I also hate so it's not just the plug. I'd rather see Ford's map full screen than Google map half screen. Also, I love having SiriusXM and I only pay $7 a month.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I use a variation of these. One in the house, one in the ST. Makes connecting the phone trivial.

Kuulaa Magnetic Charging Cable 2Pack 3FT 540° Rotating 3 in 1 Magnetic Phone Charger Cable Magnetic USB C Charging Cable, Magnetic USB Cable Nylon-Braided Cords for Micro USB/Type C/iProduct Device https://a.co/d/3KYns5W

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I never use AndroidAuto because I don't want to connect the cable every day. Also Android Auto and Carplay have a half screen for the maps which I also hate so it's not just the plug. I'd rather see Ford's map full screen than Google map half screen. Also, I love having SiriusXM and I only pay $7 a month.
The Ford maps don't have real time traffic info, so using Android Auto for Waze or Google Maps is definitely a benefit, but I agree the top half of the screen is limiting. (new version of Android Auto does a better job letting you see multiple apps running though.) Also, you can still listen to Sirius when Android auto is activated (either by the cord or the wireless device I mentioned above: The Magic Link | Wireless CarPlay Adapter (trymagicbox.com)

Finally, the $7/month is probably still the discounted offer. After 12mos it goes up to $16 or so I think.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
The Ford maps don't have real time traffic info,
It shows in mine. Traffic info is not as great as Google one though.

I also use Google maps and Waze though AA, most of the time. And the latest AA allows to use the Google maps on phone for searching places, while connected to the car. Only trouble is if I use radio or climate control using the screen, it won't go back to the AA navigation, but it will just show the home screen there. I need to press the map icon to go back to AA navigation.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Ford's Maps diverts me around present traffic issues.

hbalek

Reactions
I
The Ford maps don't have real time traffic info, so using Android Auto for Waze or Google Maps is definitely a benefit, but I agree the top half of the screen is limiting. (new version of Android Auto does a better job letting you see multiple apps running though.) Also, you can still listen to Sirius when Android auto is activated (either by the cord or the wireless device I mentioned above: The Magic Link | Wireless CarPlay Adapter (trymagicbox.com)

Finally, the $7/month is probably still the discounted offer. After 12mos it goes up to $16 or so I think.
Every year when they try to charge me $20 per month, I call to cancel and then they extend another offer for another year at the lower price.

AOSRYJP

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 Explorer ST - Agate Black
C
Call them and tell them that you are cancelling because it is too expensive. Ask for the best deal. I did 24 months for $120.