Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Strange sound from front when coming to a stop.

MBK1982

Reactions
I noticed that when I am coming to a stop there is a popping sound, that sounds like a metal to metal contact, or close to what a failed bushing sounds like. It is faint, but sounds unnatural. Dealer states that they can not hear any noise, and have it on a lift looking at it. It only happens when coming to a stop, and occasionally when you take off. Might have to go up there, and drive with the technician. Any one else hear this sound?

Reactions
No. I had a rattling coming from back. I narrowed it down to the 3 covers in rear cargo area. seems hard plastic against hard plastic rattles.

not trying to take away from your post, just trying to help out others with this issue that might be going crazy trying to determine a rattle from rear interior

Reactions
Hi MBK, don't hear any popping sound when coming to a stop. Windows up or down? Do you hear from inside the car our from the outside with the window down? I'm over 700 miles on my ST now, just took delivery August 31. I do pay attention to weird noises, etc., but haven't noticed anything like this at this point.

OP
M

MBK1982

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Hearing the sound when the windows are up, and it is coming from the front. The dealer called me this morning, and confirmed that there is a sound, however they have no idea where it is coming from. They cleaned the brakes, and basically have the front end torn apart trying to find it. Currently waiting on another update. I have around 1,400 miles so far, and this just started recently.

OP
M

MBK1982

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Dealer is stumped, and they are now scheduling a Ford Engineer to come look at it tomorrow. Almost a week in the shop now, and the car has 1,400 miles. I'll post a detailed report from the dealer once fixed, incase any one else has this issue.

drewdwn

Reactions
This is exactly why I fear buying the first year of a new generation. I feel your pain being In the shop only after a few miles.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions
I noticed that when I am coming to a stop there is a popping sound, that sounds like a metal to metal contact, or close to what a failed bushing sounds like. It is faint, but sounds unnatural. Dealer states that they can not hear any noise, and have it on a lift looking at it. It only happens when coming to a stop, and occasionally when you take off. Might have to go up there, and drive with the technician. Any one else hear this sound?
My ST has been a few times for a clunking sound when braking at a slow speed..sounds like something is loose..dealer can't hear it. So I guess I will have to take it back and I have another issue. When opening the drivers door after car has sit for awhile it makes an electronic motor sound. Anyone else have this. It's annoying. Dealer can't hear that either. But my salesman has.

Reactions
My vehicle makes all sorts of electronic noises after shut off. Regarding popping sound, I will listen and see.

Reactions
The electronic sounds is everything shutting down. The sound I hear coming from my driver door when opening it , well I'm told it's the fuel pump. It's not in the tank. Now that's a plus but the sound is annoying. But the clunking/rattle sound in the front when going slow over groves or manholes is still TBD.

OP
M

MBK1982

Reactions
Thread Starter #10
The electronic sounds is everything shutting down. The sound I hear coming from my driver door when opening it , well I'm told it's the fuel pump. It's not in the tank. Now that's a plus but the sound is annoying. But the clunking/rattle sound in the front when going slow over groves or manholes is still TBD.
That is the sound (Clunking / Rattle), it only happens when you going slow over something uneven, or a bump. Ford Engineers are refusing to even look at it due to the other ST's on the lot making the same sound. We took the car back from the dealer, however going to keep the work order open for right now. More people need to complain about this issue to your dealer, so Ford will acknowledge that there is a problem. What bothers me is that they are stating that this is a normal sound, but nobody can tell me why it is normal, or where it is coming from. A load of BS from Ford, and their Engineers.

Reactions
I also hear a very odd sound after opening the driver door. It’s the most annoying sound.
will call the dealer tomorrow to ask about it.

6thsense

Reactions
That is the sound (Clunking / Rattle), it only happens when you going slow over something uneven, or a bump. Ford Engineers are refusing to even look at it due to the other ST's on the lot making the same sound. We took the car back from the dealer, however going to keep the work order open for right now. More people need to complain about this issue to your dealer, so Ford will acknowledge that there is a problem. What bothers me is that they are stating that this is a normal sound, but nobody can tell me why it is normal, or where it is coming from. A load of BS from Ford, and their Engineers.
My ST is at the dealership now for this noise. They are telling me they are calling to Ford Hotline to see if anyone else is calling in with this issue. In the meantime, they put me in a 2020 Explorer Limited and it makes the same noise... Along with some other noises. To avoid them from telling me they don't hear any noise, I had a mechanic take a ride with me and he heard the noise instantly. The saga continues...while I drive around in the loaner.

Reactions
I have the noise too. Sounds like front passenger suspension noise.

6thsense

Reactions
The update from my dealer: They had an Engineer come out and they are researching any other customers having this issue. So basically the more people that bring their STs into the dealer for this issue, the better..it sounds.

6thsense

Reactions
Latest update: Dealer is looking at the right front strut. They need to special order a new nut. We shall see

OP
M

MBK1982

Reactions
Thread Starter #16
Latest update: Dealer is looking at the right front strut. They need to special order a new nut. We shall see
We dropped ours back off yesterday per the dealers request, so I am assuming they have a solution, however I am not holding my breath.

Reactions
Doesn’t sound like much of a solution.

6thsense

Reactions
We dropped ours back off yesterday per the dealers request, so I am assuming they have a solution, however I am not holding my breath.
If your dealer wants to talk to my dealer....tell them to call Grapevine Ford in TX :)

Reactions
I have that same annoying noise that happens occasionally when I open the driver's door. Stopped in at my dealer, and discussed it with the service manager. He was very helpful and instantly told me he had just read about it in a bulletin from Ford. The story is that the vehicle goes to sleep after a period of time, somewhere around 30 minutes or so, which I believe, since I only hear the noise after the car has been parked for awhile. When the door is opened, the car wakes up, and there is a motor in the transfer case that runs through it's travel to calibrate itself. We proved this by opening the door on a new ST they had on the lot. Initially, the noise on my ST wasn't too bad, but now it is starting to sound like a coffee grinder. The guidance from Ford was that this was a natural operation of the system, and no repair should be attempted. The service manager is thinking that Ford will address this issue in an upcoming bulletin. I hope so.

Reactions
I too hear the noise when I open the door. I thought it was just some of the electronics waking up. My wife thinks something's wrong. However, I haven't heard any popping noises when starting or stopping. Have 1,947 miles on mine.