Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Stock Audio Settings

Reactions
Need recommendations here and I'm sure there may be good threads already out there. If so, send me those links. I am wanting to set the equalizer to optimize sound for the factory speakers. I have reset the factory setting regarding the treble, mids, bass, pitch and fade and switched to surround sound. This is probably more opinion based and just looking for someone to chime in who knows a thing or two.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
With my base audio system, resetting to factory puts everything mid line and the sound goes flat.

The general rule (going back decades) looks something like this:

-----------------|--- TREBLE
-------------|------- MID
--------------------| BASS

I leave FADE/BALANCE at factory settings.

Reactions
Similar with the Upgraded Factory.
----------I-- Treble
--------I---- MID
---------I--- Bass

My old ears change though from Rock to Rap to Blues to Talk Radio though.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Appreciate the recommendations. Also, Spotify has a whole bunch of setting within the app that I have been playing around with. If anyone use Spotify what do you recommend? I listen to pretty much all genres and looking for the cleanest sound with slightly more bass.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
With B&O put it to stereo, fade all the way to the front and set the B/M/T to your liking. That’s how it should be…but people are used to surround and crap that makes no sense in a car.

DRoche

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I think the sound quality of the B&O sound system stinks. Considering the premium price for both the system and the ST, it's a major ripoff. The biggest problem I hear is that the mid-bass is over-emphasized, which makes the overall sound very muddy. It's not an enjoyable listening experience and Ford should be ashamed of it.

I've found a way that makes the system sound pretty good most of the time - as long as you're using Spotify. Go to the Spotify home screen on your phone and access Settings in the upper right corner. Select Playback, Equalizer and set the EQ like the photo below. This removes the most offensive part of the low-mids that are over-emphasized in the default B&O settings. On the radio, I leave the Mid and Bass in the center of their range and boost the Treble most of the way. All of this makes the system sound pretty good.

It only works for Spotify, of course, and not the radio or MP3s (does anyone use either of those?). It's not a substitute for a real DSP and proper system alignment but it's an easy fix to make much better sound.

IMG_5030.jpg

Attachments

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That's a start but the stock system needs more attenuation in the treble as well and a 6 band equalizer may not do it. Bottom line, the sound is too colored/flawed and needs driver replacement to make it right. Start with 3" treble and 6x9" mid bass units in the front doors. The OE 1" soft dome is fine.

Reactions
I would start with a proper sound deadening on the doors, subwoofer area and a good audio mixer. IMO you would benefit much more from those than changing the speakers.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Proper sound treatments, adding a DSP and a proper tune will probably surprise most people.
A massive suck out at 180hz is definitely NOT the way to fix it.

DRoche

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Proper sound treatments, adding a DSP and a proper tune will probably surprise most people.
A massive suck out at 180hz is definitely NOT the way to fix it.
The massive "suck out" is more like around 250hz and that's where the resonance and general nasty boominess of the stock system is centered. I made the same point you did - it's not a substitute for a DSP and proper tuning. The Spotify equalizer is crappy - no level or Q indications - but it's better than what's available in the stock head unit. AND it's FREE so you don't need to spend another $1,500+ to correct Ford's miserable tuning.

Last edited:

Exploderst

Reactions
I gave it a try and it definitely helps. Cleans up a lot of the muddiness and even removes some of the rattle the doors can have. Nice find! Definitely doesn't sound good but it is better lol! I wonder if there is a decently priced DSP that can save this hot mess?

Explorer ST Posts