Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Steering Wheel Slack

Reactions
Just picked up my ST from Ford to do some transfer case work. I noticed slight slack (about 1/4 inch) in the steering wheel while driving and when the vehicle is turned off. Can't remember if this was present before but it was one of the first things I noticed after picking it up. Is this slack normal?

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Just picked up my ST from Ford to do some transfer case work. I noticed slight slack (about 1/4 inch) in the steering wheel while driving and when the vehicle is turned off. Can't remember if this was present before but it was one of the first things I noticed after picking it up. Is this slack normal?
No slack should be there. You move the steering wheel, the tires should turn.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Yep, that's what I was thinking. Back to the service dept for the 11th time since I've bought this thing a year and half ago. smh.....

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Finally fixed after I had to argue with the service advisor and tech. They initially told me the slack was normal. I laughed at them and told them to check another ST on the lot. Lo and behold the issue was then resolved after the initial disagreement. Apparently when doing transfer case work the sub frame along with steering column components need to be disassembled and they didn't reassemble the steering column back to factory specs.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
The lack of competency with Ford is concerning to say the least. I have had to immediately take it back on four separate occasions right after driving it off the lot for repairs that were not done correctly. Unfortunately, all Ford service depts within a 25 mile radius have horrible reviews.

Explorer ST Posts