Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Steering Creaking

honhon

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Has anyone heard creaking from the steering components while dry steering or low speed steering?

I had my daughter turning the wheel while I was under the front of the explorer and I had my hand on the tie rod and i felt the “creaking” as I heard it while it was turning…

it sounds like sway bar link noise but when I was laying under the front end the noise seems to come lower in the front end…

curious if anyone has come across this… really hoping it’s not the steering rack…

thank you for any and all responses

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Has anyone heard creaking from the steering components while dry steering or low speed steering?

I had my daughter turning the wheel while I was under the front of the explorer and I had my hand on the tie rod and i felt the “creaking” as I heard it while it was turning…

it sounds like sway bar link noise but when I was laying under the front end the noise seems to come lower in the front end…

curious if anyone has come across this… really hoping it’s not the steering rack…

thank you for any and all responses
I’ve heard it on my 22

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StarWhite22

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I have a similar noise and hear it when turning too but have also noticed it when applying the brakes at low speed. Do you notice it more when you hit the brakes? It’s definitely an audible noise. Dealer couldn’t find anything loose but I don’t know how hard they looked or what they looked at.

JTwizzST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'd say visually check all of your suspension bushings for abnormal wear and check your struts for leaking. Even if the struts aren't leaking, doesn't mean they aren't bad.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
+1 on checking the bushings

StarWhite22

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Ended up being front brakes. Rotors on the front were pitted and rusted bad and there was a large lip on the back side of one of the rotors causing the pad backing plate to have some play in it.