Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Steel wheel alternatives in 21" for winter tires?

Gibson

Reactions
Put new Pirrelli winters on with the insulation layer to mute road noise and they are excellent in snow and ice; however the stock wheels in 21" collect snow and come out of balance easily. Anyone hear of 21" steel wheels for winter tires?
Hate to have to buy a second set of aluminums but swapping tires a pain from summer/winter. May end up buying a second set but use the Lincoln chrome versions that appear same spec & design as black style stock ones for summers.

Reactions

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
You do not want 21" winter rims and tires! Doesn't make any sense from a performance standpoint. Looks for 18" rims and winter tires. You can get the intercepter rims or just go with some cheap alloy wheels. Just make sure the Intercepter steelies are for 2020. The older ones won't fit.

Last edited:
Reactions
You do not want 21" winter rims and tires! Doesn't make any sense from a performance standpoint. Looks for 18" rims and winter tires. You can get the intercepter rims or just go with some cheap alloy wheels. Just make sure the Intercepter steelies are for 2020. The older ones won't fit.
18 inch will clear the Strret pack breaks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
yes. maybe not all 18" alloys though. I have an 18" set from Tirerack. The police interceptor has upgraded brakes just like our ST. Make sure you pay attention to wheel bore size which is increased from previous explorers.

Attachments

Reactions
yes. maybe not all 18" alloys though. I have an 18" set from Tirerack. The police interceptor has upgraded brakes just like our ST. Make sure you pay attention to wheel bore size which is increased from previous explorers.
can you hit me with the product number? Cant find these on their site.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
can you hit me with the product number? Cant find these on their site.
For the record, mine are aftermarket 18" rims made by KMC. I did a search for what rims fit for a 2020 Explorer ST on the Tirerack website. Came out to $1700 for rims, TPMS, lugnuts and a set of 255/65/18 Michelin X-Ice XI2. If you want PIU steel 18" rims, your best bet is the Ford dealer. I don't know the part # but for whatever reason it is a lot more expensive in the US than in Canada.

Reactions
PIU steel 18" rims P/N : LB5Z-1015-B & Center Caps if wanted are : LB5Z-1130-C
Any Canadian buyers 250 CAD Per wheel including TPMS

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Any Canadian buyers 250 CAD Per wheel including TPMS

I thought they were even cheaper than that. Like CDN$120 and $60 for each wheel and TPMS respectively. Edit: maybe that's not including the center caps...

Reactions
I thought they were even cheaper than that. Like CDN$120 and $60 for each wheel and TPMS respectively. Edit: maybe that's not including the center caps...
My local dealer quoted 150 for the wheel and 100 for TPMS.

Dealer in Hamilton (Eastgate Ford)- 120 for the wheel... didn’t ask about the TPMS I just assumed the same. Center caps are 15$ east.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
$100 for each TPMS is highway robbery!!!

Reactions
$100 for each TPMS is highway robbery!!!
I’ll call Eastgate ford and see what they charge. I’ll be looking to cop these wheel soon.

Reactions
The sensors are 84.60 if ordered online.

Reactions
omg, 400$ per rim for these?

Just under 250 CAD tax in for sensors wheels and center caps.