Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Steeda rear spring spacers Question

Reactions
I might of misconstrued a couple of answers from 2 different guys from Steeda
I waited over a month for the springs, but finally they are arriving tomorrow. But what did already arrive were the spacers. 2 sets of the S550 #555-8251, 4 total 1/4" size.
I know what they are for but 2 pair threw me off. So I called and one gentleman seemed confused and said they sent an extra pair by mistake and not to worry about sending one pair back.

But today, when I found out the springs were coming, I called again, just to get a little more knowledgeable about the spacers.
He said that there was no mistake and I needed 2 spacers on each back spring.

So quick question. Do 2 spacers go on each rears springs

Thanks
JHoe C

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Why are you putting spacers on Steeda springs?

OP
Joeyd1961
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Do you have Steeda with no spacers?
When I bought them online, it asks if my explorer is awd or rwd An St is rwd right? so I clicked rwd and it cost an exta $100. So they sent me 2 pair of mustang 1/4" spacers. I called and they said
Steeda feels the springs work better for the st with the spacers. And they mentioned the rake that I would maintain. I really don't know now. I guess Ill call them back to find out more

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Unless they changed their springs they were the same drop f/r so they naturally maintained the rake.
H&R had more drop in the rear to kill the rake.

OP
Joeyd1961
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Do you have the Steeda without the spacers?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The spacer is for a RWD Explorer. The ST is 4WD and doesn’t need them…that’s right off their site.

OP
Joeyd1961
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
The spacer is for a RWD Explorer. The ST is 4WD and doesn’t need them…that’s right off their site.
Ok so help me out. The St is a 4wd but is rear-wheel based? so I should of picked 4wd instead of rwd?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Correct

OP
Joeyd1961
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Thanks Bub
Why do they have that option then? Aren't all new explorers 4wd with rear wheel based?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks Bub
Why do they have that option then? Aren't all new explorers 4wd with rear wheel based?
All Explorers are rear wheel based, (inline engine- not transverse) but not all are AWD.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Never got spacers with my Steeda springs bought and installed a year ago. Definitely not something you want.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
All Explorers are rear-wheel based, (inline engine- not transverse) but not all are AWD.
No offense intended with this comment. All current model Explorers are rear-wheel-based (read, 2020 & 2021). The last models were front-drive, transverse engine based. The Explorer Sports were nice vehicles, however, torque steer was one of their downfalls.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
No offense intended with this comment. All current model Explorers are rear-wheel-based (read, 2020 & 2021). The last models were front-drive, transverse engine based. The Explorer Sports were nice vehicles, however, torque steer was one of their downfalls.
This is an ST group focused on 2020 and newer Explorers. We shouldn’t have to specify.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
This is an ST group focused on 2020 and newer Explorers. We shouldn’t have to specify.
Of course it is. I simply thought that this fact might be why someone would have the old platform on their mind and could be cause for confusion. As I said, no offense intended.