Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Steeda or aFe Sway-Bar?

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
JR,

Thank you for posting useful information pertaining to the subject at hand. Understanding the results of a suspension change is far more than an article from car and driver review of the truck. That's a great site you have, and thanks.

Reactions
My pleasure. After 20 or so years with IRS vehicles, I’ve been fortunate to pick up a trick or two. The ST isn’t as fun as my Cobra, but it can be improved nicely though!

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
My pleasure. After 20 or so years with IRS vehicles, I’ve been fortunate to pick up a trick or two. The ST isn’t as fun as my Cobra, but it can be improved nicely though!

Many, many years ago I owned and drove a dirt track car and Bobby Allison put some time and money into it. He did that because a close friend was a member of the team and his brother was a NACAR driver. He taught us about suspension to a small degree and all I can remember from that is "roll out" as it applies to tire diameter. Not applicable if you're turning left AND right.

So, when stiffening only the rear wont that result in a bit of front end push or a bit of dive?

Thanks again.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
So, when stiffening only the rear wont that result in a bit of front end push or a bit of dive?

Thanks again.
All of the information posted answers that question. No, it will not.

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
correct, but that figure relates to the trucks weight and COG. And that changed with the RWD chassis setup.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
correct, but that figure relates to the trucks weight and COG. And that changed with the RWD chassis setup.
Yes…closer to 50/50 but that doesn’t change how these bars interact with the chassis. It’s still an IRS car.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
You're stating above that the Steeda "gives it a good balance" so I'll assume you're talking about the ST and roll balance between front and rear. I'll also assume that if you make that statement you've tested them. You are correct with your statement concerning the need for front and rear sway bars to reap the full benefits of either as it only possible to adjust and balance the roll rate if you have both the front and rear installed (AFE only.).
Yes, I drove the stock ST on the Park City auto cross track in the rain, and it was obvious the amount of 'push' in the stock set up. The Steeda Sway Bar is stiffer than stock and gives the ST a more balanced handling characteristic, although I have not driven my own vehicle to the same extremes in the rain, I can tell the difference. And another user posted that he had tested with the Steeda bar on all three settings, he said there was not much difference but very little push. So that tells me if a larger front sway bar is installed then a much larger rear sway bar is also needed. The AFE specs state their rear sway bar is stiffer than the Steeda so my guess is that it matches better with their larger front bar. They should be matched to create a more balanced handling experience. But for my grocery getting ST I thnk the Steeda rear is more than adequte. Just my opinion.

Reactions
So……installing just the rear AFE bar is a good thing? This thread is all over the place.

Reactions
Read Post #20.