Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST vs. The Competition

Polo08816

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2014 BMW 335i
How does an X5 with 65 less horsepower outrun the Ford, which weighs slightly less than the BMW, by 2 tenths of a second? Either Ford engineers need some physics lessons or BMW needs to come clean about horsepower numbers….
BMW completely under-rates their engines. Their advertised rating is closer to what the vehicle is making at the wheels and not the crank.

Also, the 2024 BMW X5 40i has much more power than the quoted post above reflects. BMW rates it at 375hp, not 335 hp.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I HATE BACKWARDS tachs the genesis would drive me nut

what good did it do for the dude to rev the engines over and over and over while talking... they are quite. not like a big fat cam grunting v8:eek:

Reactions
How does an X5 with 65 less horsepower outrun the Ford, which weighs slightly less than the BMW, by 2 tenths of a second? Either Ford engineers need some physics lessons or BMW needs to come clean about horsepower numbers….
As stated, underrated by a mile. Not only that though, they also make a ton of nice power with a tune as well.

Ford needs lessons on gas efficiency though, BMW's make more power and are MUCH more efficient as well. The X5 M gets similar MPG as the ST despite being heavier and a V8

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
BMW has Valvetronic- which provides adjustment for valve duration and lift in combo with variable valve timing. Ford only has the variable timing. That's the main difference in mileage.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
New X5's also make 375HP now, instead of the 325HP. X5 V8 models are in every way superior to the ST, albeit 25K more on starting price. This excludes the actual "M" models that are well over 100K new.

We will be looking at used X5M's as they make over 700HP with just a tune on pump gas.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
New X5's also make 375HP now, instead of the 325HP. X5 V8 models are in every way superior to the ST, albeit 25K more on starting price. This excludes the actual "M" models that are well over 100K new.

We will be looking at used X5M's as they make over 700HP with just a tune on pump gas.
We had a X6M for a little while. It stayed in the shop more than our garage. It was awesome when it ran. Good luck and make sure you get a good warranty, and dump it when it runs out. At least we got to drive every other BMW made as loner cars.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
We had a X6M for a little while. It stayed in the shop more than our garage. It was awesome when it ran. Good luck and make sure you get a good warranty, and dump it when it runs out. At least we got to drive every other BMW made as loner cars.
I have heard BMW's are hit and miss with their reliability. A lot of people swear by them if you maintain them meticulously. Still going to keep the ST, but just want something with more luxury and oomph.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have heard BMW's are hit and miss with their reliability. A lot of people swear by them if you maintain them meticulously. Still going to keep the ST, but just want something with more luxury and oomph.
Yeah, probably the most unreliable car we have ever owned. And it was well maintained. I was surprised how busy BMW shops were when we first bought it and then understood it soon after.

Kinda in the same position. The wife is going to get something a little more plush and I will keep the ST to play with. At least that is what we are thinking right now.

Reactions
IMO, the more electronics, the more possible issues. The Explorer has been having a ton more issues lately vs previous years. But as long as engine and tranny are strong and last, thats the main thing that should matter.

BMW has come a LONG way vs previous years. The recent B54/B48/S58 engine(s) are one of the most efficient best engines in a while. As a brand, they're actually in the top 10 most reliable car makers recently, beating Ford by a margin