Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST vs. The Competition

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The Audis are nice, but the SQ5 does not have 3 row seating like the ST, so not really the same class vehicle.

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
Agree, I had 2 challengers, and a 2019 RAM, interior on the dodge is better for sure. I got the ST because the Ram was a pig on fuel.
This is exactly the reason I sold my 21 Ram but come to find out my ST isn't that much better. I do miss the interior of the Ram and how quiet and well it rode but the ST is ALOT more fun to drive.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
My only complaint is that the fit and finish is lacking.
I already have a fog light that has condensation in it along with a piece of leather trim that has to be redone.
In addition the paint on the black rims could have used more clear as they are a scratch magnet.
However after the small mods to the suspension and the tune it is a pleasure to have as a daily driver. The last thing is to put the new intercooler in so I don't feel like I lost 100 horsepower on hot days! :cry:

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #44
This is exactly the reason I sold my 21 Ram but come to find out my ST isn't that much better. I do miss the interior of the Ram and how quiet and well it rode but the ST is ALOT more fun to drive.
Glad to read you comment. Yes, the ST is a ton of fun, and the fact that nothing else even comes close to it for price/performance is the icing on the cake.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #45
Okay, I've updated pricing on the vehicles in the comparison. They are to the right of the original price quote in RED with (brackets).

Some changed very little. Some changed a lot.

SPOILER: ST remains the performance value leader.(y)

cagilber

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Nice comparison. Was really hoping the MDX Type S would be priced better or available without some of the dumb luxury options. So here I am with my 2nd ST and no complaints. Absolutely love the way it drives and enjoy having the space to haul the whole family plus our stuff around.

Reactions
Not sure how I missed this the first time. Nice write up. The ST is a big boned girl that can brake better, throw her weight around with the high end Europeans, quick on her feet all while getting the best mileage of the group, along with an attractive purchase price. I too was hoping for more out of the MDX Type S. Have a 2007 TL type s with over 200k which I bought new, love it, but go with the ST every time.

Reactions
Vehicle
N/A
Nice comparison. Was really hoping the MDX Type S would be priced better or available without some of the dumb luxury options. So here I am with my 2nd ST and no complaints. Absolutely love the way it drives and enjoy having the space to haul the whole family plus our stuff around.
I'm surprised they went with airbag suspension. There's just no way around them being unreliable. Even Toyota/Lexus, with their renowned reputation, have had plenty of issues with their systems once they rack up some miles. If you're leasing it, no problem ... but if you're keeping it long term, which is generally the idea behind buying Japanese, it's just not a pragmatic choice.

Not sure how I missed this the first time. Nice write up. The ST is a big boned girl that can brake better, throw her weight around with the high end Europeans, quick on her feet all while getting the best mileage of the group, along with an attractive purchase price. I too was hoping for more out of the MDX Type S. Have a 2007 TL type s with over 200k which I bought new, love it, but go with the ST every time.
Definitely a big hit on the price. When I passed by my local dealer when these things were first hitting the lots, the dealer was a barren wasteland ... except for the 10 MDX Type-S's sitting out front. Nobody was buying them ... and I'm sure there was ADM to boot. They've since moved them, so I'm thinking they came down to MSRP pretty quick, if not giving some money off the sticker price. I even saw a dealer offering loyalty rebates only on the MDX-S.

It would be a good deal if it were 10% cheaper. But, dealing with the build quality of my 2020 RDX, I would never spend that kind of money on an Acura product. They're literally just tarted up Honda's with the same mediocre build quality. Reliable engines and good driving dynamics are the main reasons to buy one.

Nhdataguy

Reactions
If you want a sporty 3-row SUV, you can narrow it down to just 3 (Explorer, Durango, Tahoe), and I don't even consider the Tahoe to be sporty (of all the V8 engines GM has to offer, you stick to the 5.3? Really? C'mon, take this seriously)

Money no-object, I'm taking the Durango SRT all day, every day. I had a 2018 SRT: better interior, better performance, better sound (engine and audio), better ride, more adjustability (eco/street/sport/track/custom/etc), and I got compliments everywhere I went.

Unfortunately, money is an object, and since my SRT was stolen, I went for bang-for-the-buck with the ST this time around.

I definitely do not miss the 11 mpg though.
I bought an ST for my wife but your not mentioning an SQ7 as a money is no option... I gave the Q7 to my kids and it was no slouch either...
SQ7 would walk all of those ...
I owned 3 of them (Q7) and I can say it is same ballpark as ST etc

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I bought an ST for my wife but your not mentioning an SQ7 as a money is no option... I gave the Q7 to my kids and it was no slouch either...
SQ7 would walk all of those ...
I owned 3 of them (Q7) and I can say it is same ballpark as ST etc
$30k more and the same ballpark as an ST? That’s more impressive for the ST. But yeah that SQ7 is nice!

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #51
I bought an ST for my wife but your not mentioning an SQ7 as a money is no option... I gave the Q7 to my kids and it was no slouch either... SQ7 would walk all of those ... I owned 3 of them (Q7) and I can say it is same ballpark as ST etc
Being the latest post on this thread, your comment caught my eye.

A Q7 parked next to me the other day and I asked the owner how they liked it. They said it was the worst car they ever had!

It was a couple of years old, and they talked about all the things that went wrong with it and how costly it was to repair.

When I started this thread, I compared the smaller and more compact SQ5 to try and keep the cost down for comparison sake.

The Q7's are out there in price compared to an ST while offering no real performance benefit. The 335 hp V6 model is nearly $14k more than an ST (starting at $63,800) and C&D's test revealed they offer no significant performance improvement over the ST. And add to that they got an observed 14 mpg combined.

Now if you want to talk the 500 hp SQ7, it'll turn a 12 flat in the 1/4 which is great. But it starts at $89,200 ... almost $40k more than an ST. Lol

Nhdataguy

Reactions
I had 3 of them, It was a great car, only real issue was it needed rotors and pads all the time due to the traction control and radar cruise using the brakes to modulate.
Cant compare the Q5 and Q7 Its like comparing a Exploder to an Edge ... My Street package ST was 60+ the Q7 was about 10K more, but all together different trims ...
The ST is still a cheesy interior and does not have the same tech or comfort of a Premium Plus or higher, I just wanted out of German cars for personal reasons.
I used to get 20-22 about the same as the ST, at NNE freeway speeds, very comfortable, great tech, nice sound, as much room as the ST.
It would tow the 3500 enclosed sled trailer with no issues, had a bad habit of making 95 feel like 55 but other than that no complaints other than going to need lot's of service as any car having 100K will need.
I gave the 2017 to the my son with 70K on it, he drove it till 105K when Carmax gave me 24k for it and bought each of them a Subaru Ascent Black Edition.

Reactions
I currently have a rental 2022 Q7 with the 355hp V6 while my ST is in the shop (Ford paid ;)). Options and interior quality are far superior but the performance for me is just not there. Throttle response and acceleration, even in dynamic mode, doesn't have that aggressive feel like the ST does. The back seats do not have as much room. Two child's seats fit better in the ST and I don't have to hunch over the wheel like I do in the Q7, 6ft tall as a reference. The sound system is shit as well compared to the 16 speaker BO and I know a lot of folks on here trash the ST BO sound system.

Nhdataguy

Reactions
Which Q7? Rental is probably a Premium, Premium Plus would have the B&O 3D system sounds great ... Also they swapped to the v6 turbo, I had the Supercharged versions ...
I went with the buckets on the St much happier ... Virtual Cockpit is awesome on the Audi ...

Reactions
Which Q7? Rental is probably a Premium, Premium Plus would have the B&O 3D system sounds great ... Also they swapped to the v6 turbo, I had the Supercharged versions ...
I went with the buckets on the St much happier ... Virtual Cockpit is awesome on the Audi ...
Agree with the redesigned Audi cockpit, it is impressive. Not too sure what the trim level is but I know it has the 3.0t. Not too sure on the sound system either.

Reactions
I take back my previous remarks regarding the Q7 B&O sound system. After having the rental for over a week and messing around with the sound settings, it is better than the ST's. Sound is a lot cleaner and refined through all ranges.

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Great post but after a month of pricing here in the Boston area I found a new ST with everything to be in the $64K range, and the dodge Durango to be closer to $92K.

Forddealz

Reactions
The new X5 2024 with an M sport package has been upgraded to 375hp. The interior looks nice. I think it would be like 10K more then the ST. I think that BMW gives like a 3 year free maintenance.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The new X5 2024 with an M sport package has been upgraded to 375hp. The interior looks nice. I think it would be like 10K more then the ST. I think that BMW gives like a 3 year free maintenance.
BMW x5 M series starts at just a tad under $90k.