Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST vs Aviator

Reactions
Ok, so the Sync / GPS and other technology issues are driving my OCD into overdrive and grating on my nerves.

Does anyone have any experience with moving from an ST to the Aviator?

Do the Lincoln vehicles suffer from the same technology issues?

I am contemplating trading the ST in for one.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Pretty much the same infotainment system.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
And more “technology”. If THATs what’s getting on your nerves about this vehicle, moving to an Aviator is moving in the wrong direction. Plus it’s lots heavier and therefore noticeably slower even though it’s got the same 400hp tune on the 3.0EB

Reactions
They are built in the same factory with many of the same components, so I wouldn't expect too much of a difference. It's really hit and miss, and from what I have read a LOT of it has to do with ground wires not installed correctly. Personally I haven't had any issues, nor have many others.

These issues aren't limited to the Explorer, read up on Telluride/Palisade/Atlas/InsertSUVhere forums.

OP
Frank T.
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Last ditch effort to fix Sync/GPS Navigation system.

ST has been a dealers since last week. Everything they tried didn’t work. They called Ford.

They were told to check/change cables from antenna to the unit. This was already changed, several months ago and did nothing.

This time however if it doesn’t solve the problem they will be replacing the APIM.

In the meantime they have me driving a loaner Corsair. Not so bad?!

I think the Aviator is looking better every day.

OP
Frank T.
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Another update. APIM is on order.

Im looking forward to driving with a fully functional Sync/Navigation Infotainment system!

OP
Frank T.
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
New APIM installed. GPS/Sync system working much better.

First ignition in the morning still getting the dreaded crossed out GPS symbol, but, the GPS is correctly tracking my location? Next ignition, it clears and everything works.

Still seriously considering the Aviator.