Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST SUV Experience - Asheville - 5/26-5/27 - Write Up

cochran191

Reactions
My wife and I made the 3 hour drive to Asheville for the ST SUV Experience last week and I wanted to do a little write up and answer any questions anyone had about it before they go.

Arrival Day
We arrived at the Biltmore the afternoon of the reception dinner. Traffic on I40 made us take a little detour but Waze got us there no problem. Following the signs to the hotel was easy enough, as was check in. They give you an envelope with a map, your Biltmore Tour tickets, and (2) $25 breakfast vouchers. It was pouring down rain so we didn't get to explore much of the grounds but we found our way to Cedric's ahead of time just to make sure we knew where we were going. Come time for the reception dinner we followed the sign they had set up to go through the private party door and up the elevator. Everyone was dressed pretty casual, some more than others, but jeans and a collared shirt seemed to be the attire most chose. Dinner was a pretty standard upscale business buffet, ie soup, salad, herb mac and cheese, sweet potato risotto, prime rib, half chicken etc. Our presentation was done by Shaun who did a great job, even with the technical difficulties he had. At the end he talks about preparing for the next day, including eating breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel, and that they even open 15 minutes early (6:45am instead of 7am) for ST SUV participants and to not forget to use the included $25 breakfast vouchers.

Drive Day
We arrived at breakfast at 6:45, although there were several other couples already there and some had already received their food by that time. Both of our meals were very good, but we had to eat quickly. You have to be at the designated parking lot between 7:30 and 7:45 for check-in and it is about a ~8-10 minute drive there. We were not staying another night so we had to check out and load our luggage before departing for the meeting spot. After our short drive we arrived at the parking lot, checked in at the tent, and were assigned our Explorer for the day. We brought our phone charging cables but they ask you not to plug them into the front port because they use the Ford Navigation presets to get everyone from place to place just incase someone gets split up. After checking to make sure everyone's 2-way radio is working and a short explanation on the Roadkeepers, we were on our way. There were 3 groups on our day, each with an instructor at the front of the group as well as the back. We had Shaun and Andy and they did a great job keeping us all together as best they could.

The first leg is a ~90 minute drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway with one stop about halfway through to allow you to stretch your legs and switch drivers if you want to. The entire way we were being walked through over the radio on how different aspects of the car work as well as how to use them. At the end of the drive on the Parkway you arrive at the Asheville Fair Grounds for the second part of your day. We started with splitting the couples up into 2 groups with one group doing the auto parallel park assist and the other doing the skid car. Next was the obstacle avoidance maneuvering, which we both did. After that it was time for a light lunch at the Golf Course just down the road. After lunch is the last 2 driving exercises before returning to the Biltmore. We did the Emergency Automated Breaking Test first, where you just drive at the inflatable car at 20mph and let the car stop itself. Next was the Autocross and it was so much fun. After the Prize(s) of Unspeakable Value are handed out and the group pictures taken, everyone heads back to the Biltmore parking lot to return your borrowed ST and head over to the Biltmore house for the tour. Overall and amazing experience that I would highly recommend to everyone that can do it.

A few quick things:
  • Always have your drivers license with you, even at the dinner on the first night
  • Your swag bag is given out at the dinner and has more awesome stuff than just the emblems in it
  • You can't go wrong with the Pecan Waffles and Bacon for breakfast
  • The second part of the Parkway drive is a little more intense so plan for that if you get car sick
  • Only one person gets to do the skid car from each "couple", that bummed out several people in our group, the other only gets to do the parallel parking assist
  • There are not a ton of bathroom break opportunities, so take them when they are offered
  • Trust the car and the instructors, they are great and really know what they are talking about
  • The drive back from the fairgrounds only takes about 20-30 minutes, you do not take the parkway back
  • Don't forget about the Roadkeepers, try to remember to turn it on every time, and don't forget it records audio too.

JBStrums

Reactions
Thank for the info. Wife and I are on the fence about going. This review helps. Sounds like it’s worth it.

Smedley

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
My wife and I made the 3 hour drive to Asheville for the ST SUV Experience last week and I wanted to do a little write up and answer any questions anyone had about it before they go.

Arrival Day
We arrived at the Biltmore the afternoon of the reception dinner. Traffic on I40 made us take a little detour but Waze got us there no problem. Following the signs to the hotel was easy enough, as was check in. They give you an envelope with a map, your Biltmore Tour tickets, and (2) $25 breakfast vouchers. It was pouring down rain so we didn't get to explore much of the grounds but we found our way to Cedric's ahead of time just to make sure we knew where we were going. Come time for the reception dinner we followed the sign they had set up to go through the private party door and up the elevator. Everyone was dressed pretty casual, some more than others, but jeans and a collared shirt seemed to be the attire most chose. Dinner was a pretty standard upscale business buffet, ie soup, salad, herb mac and cheese, sweet potato risotto, prime rib, half chicken etc. Our presentation was done by Shaun who did a great job, even with the technical difficulties he had. At the end he talks about preparing for the next day, including eating breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel, and that they even open 15 minutes early (6:45am instead of 7am) for ST SUV participants and to not forget to use the included $25 breakfast vouchers.

Drive Day
We arrived at breakfast at 6:45, although there were several other couples already there and some had already received their food by that time. Both of our meals were very good, but we had to eat quickly. You have to be at the designated parking lot between 7:30 and 7:45 for check-in and it is about a ~8-10 minute drive there. We were not staying another night so we had to check out and load our luggage before departing for the meeting spot. After our short drive we arrived at the parking lot, checked in at the tent, and were assigned our Explorer for the day. We brought our phone charging cables but they ask you not to plug them into the front port because they use the Ford Navigation presets to get everyone from place to place just incase someone gets split up. After checking to make sure everyone's 2-way radio is working and a short explanation on the Roadkeepers, we were on our way. There were 3 groups on our day, each with an instructor at the front of the group as well as the back. We had Shaun and Andy and they did a great job keeping us all together as best they could.

The first leg is a ~90 minute drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway with one stop about halfway through to allow you to stretch your legs and switch drivers if you want to. The entire way we were being walked through over the radio on how different aspects of the car work as well as how to use them. At the end of the drive on the Parkway you arrive at the Asheville Fair Grounds for the second part of your day. We started with splitting the couples up into 2 groups with one group doing the auto parallel park assist and the other doing the skid car. Next was the obstacle avoidance maneuvering, which we both did. After that it was time for a light lunch at the Golf Course just down the road. After lunch is the last 2 driving exercises before returning to the Biltmore. We did the Emergency Automated Breaking Test first, where you just drive at the inflatable car at 20mph and let the car stop itself. Next was the Autocross and it was so much fun. After the Prize(s) of Unspeakable Value are handed out and the group pictures taken, everyone heads back to the Biltmore parking lot to return your borrowed ST and head over to the Biltmore house for the tour. Overall and amazing experience that I would highly recommend to everyone that can do it.

A few quick things:
  • Always have your drivers license with you, even at the dinner on the first night
  • Your swag bag is given out at the dinner and has more awesome stuff than just the emblems in it
  • The second part of the Parkway drive is a little more intense so plan for that if you get car sick
  • Only one person gets to do the skid car from each "couple", that bummed out several people in our group, the other only gets to do the parallel parking assist
  • There are not a ton of bathroom break opportunities, so take them when they are offered
  • Trust the car and the instructors, they are great and really know what they are talking about
  • The drive back from the fairgrounds only takes about 20-30 minutes, you do not take the parkway back
  • Don't forget about the Roadkeepers, try to remember to turn it on every time, and don't forget it records audio too.

Smedley

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thanks for the overview - very informative. I am going with son at the beginning of August. We are really looking forward to the Experience.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Thank for the info. Wife and I are on the fence about going. This review helps. Sounds like it’s worth it.
I’ve never read a comment calling it anything less than “Amazing”!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
One thing to note especially if you make your stay a couple of extra days like a weekend from it, we went down on a Saturday while the event day was the following Tuesday. We were able to use the breakfast coupons anytime and since we had an extra night stay used it the following morning before departure. Was also able to reschedule the tour of the Biltmore to a different day with their code from one of the emails so you are not forced to attend same day as event day.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
The prize of unspeakable value

20220408_131726.jpg

STayFord

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thanks for the Asheville write up, cochran191. Did your spouse get to do the autocross event too? My main concern is I don't want my wife to be bored while I'm having fun. I'm hoping they can let her be involved in the events. I saw the notes on the skid session only being 1 person. I did the Fiesta ST/ Focus ST experience a few years back in Utah and remembered that partners only rode along unless you paid extra to get them driving time.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thanks for the Asheville write up, cochran191. Did your spouse get to do the autocross event too? My main concern is I don't want my wife to be bored while I'm having fun. I'm hoping they can let her be involved in the events. I saw the notes on the skid session only being 1 person. I did the Fiesta ST/ Focus ST experience a few years back in Utah and remembered that partners only rode along unless you paid extra to get them driving time.
Partners participated in Autocross, avoidance and emergency stopping. I let the wife do the skid car which was a blast for her.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thanks for sharing the details of your trip @cochran191 . My wife and I are signed up for the August 11th ST SUV Experience and are really looking forward to the trip.

Blaster7Romeo

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Thanks for the wright up.. born and a little south of Asheville. Have driven the parkway a ton and the Biltmore house more than i can count.. I will prob use going to the one in Park City as a good excuse for a road trip lol and you helped me make my decision.

And for anyone else wondering. They only have classes online listed till Aug. I called and they said classes will go till oct but are just not on the website yet.

I saw a group of cars turning in to the Biltmore house gate the other day when i was in Asheville for work. took a pic will post in up when i get back to my phone.. who knows you may be in it lol

Last edited:
Reactions
I'm pretty bummed out, I missed my one year opportunity. We got busy last year with work, getting married and catching covid to make it out there to Ashville.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Reactions
I'm pretty bummed out, I missed my one year opportunity. We got busy last year with work, getting married and catching covid to make it out there to Ashville.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Send them an email and they may allow you to go. We went 18 months after our purchase due to the Canada/US border being closed for so long. The worse they can say is no. Give it a try.

Reactions

Arrival Day

Drive Day

A few quick things:
Thanks for the write-up. I found it right before my wife and came to Asheville, our drive day was yesterday. It makes for a long day, but it was a blast!

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thanks so much. We did the Experience at Park City a year ago and loved every minute ... especially the autocross!! But all of the "experiences" were great!! My wife turned out to be one of the top shooters at the Olympic Biathlon shooting range ... who knew?

This almost makes me want to "trade down" for a '22 and go to Asheville!! (Bit of a joke ... but our '20 does have the heated windshield, lights in the glove box and cup holders, rear seat controls and massaging seats!!:) All working flawlessly!!)

Ken

Hamberg

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
We went to the Asheville version on 6/22/2022 - it was a blast! Just my opinion but Ford did a really nice job with the whole program, from dinner the night before to two-way, in car radio and detailing what was going on as we drove - plus the SWAG bags were very cool as well.

Was fastest time on the slalom (29.07) but hit 2 cones :mad: which blew me out of the water for the "Prize of Unspeakable Value".

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I pulled a 29.73 on the final run, the one that counts. I never touched a cone in any practice run or final run. On the last practice run I did a 29.5. I was the only one who got a sub 30 sec run. And here is my prize of unspeakable value

20220408_131726.jpg

Explorer ST Posts