Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST Sound Insulation?

zslow6

Reactions
Hey guys new to the forum but my wife has had her ST for about a year. Always noticed a lot of wind/road noise (not the whistling people have mentioned) and the "cheap" sound when closing the door. She recently had to bring it to the dealer to have the trans looked at (up and down shifting like it has a shift kit installed) and was given a Limited as a courtesy car. We noticed the road/wind noise is definitely quieter and it also has a more premium "thud" when closing the doors as opposed to a r rattling "cheap" sound on her ST. Has anyone noticed this between the models? Sorry if this has been discussed but I haven't been able to find anything.

Happy New Year!

Reactions
As far as I know, there is nothing different in doors between the Limited and the ST except for the number of speakers/brand.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
As far as I know, there is nothing different in doors between the Limited and the ST except for the number of speakers/brand.
Exactly

OP
Z

zslow6

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Interesting. Definitely notice a difference in the two. I'll have to talk to the dealer about that. Thanks!

GoPackGO

Reactions
Hey guys new to the forum but my wife has had her ST for about a year. Always noticed a lot of wind/road noise (not the whistling people have mentioned) and the "cheap" sound when closing the door. She recently had to bring it to the dealer to have the trans looked at (up and down shifting like it has a shift kit installed) and was given a Limited as a courtesy car. We noticed the road/wind noise is definitely quieter and it also has a more premium "thud" when closing the doors as opposed to a r rattling "cheap" sound on her ST. Has anyone noticed this between the models? Sorry if this has been discussed but I haven't been able to find anything.

Happy New Year!
I noticed the same thing with the doors on our new ST, like it needs some sound deadening. We had a 2016 limited before and I didnt notice the doors as I do on the new ST.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The doors have one cheap mat on the outer door skin and fiber mats on the inner door panels. It’s very minimal. The rear doors only have the fiber mat...no dampener on the outer skin. C09A11A2-9D08-400E-8FEF-8D973F02CD48.jpeg 46DC8E91-8534-4ECE-88B2-263C64BC28B4.jpeg C1B00DAC-8987-487B-B455-BF28BFA1E19B.jpeg

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
If you want it quiet...it takes some work. 873155AE-8B9F-45B5-AFCE-02740A914142.jpeg 33B4E933-5BC0-46A0-8DC6-E14A69627C82.jpeg 35B0E0DF-493B-4813-B264-393C344DBA32.jpeg

Blackssr

Reactions
Hey guys new to the forum but my wife has had her ST for about a year. Always noticed a lot of wind/road noise (not the whistling people have mentioned) and the "cheap" sound when closing the door. She recently had to bring it to the dealer to have the I put dynamat on all four doors trans looked at (up and down shifting like it has a shift kit installed) and was given a Limited as a courtesy car. We noticed the road/wind noise is definitely quieter and it also has a more premium "thud" when closing the doors as opposed to a r rattling "cheap" sound on her ST. Has anyone noticed this between the models? Sorry if this has been discussed but I haven't been able to find anything.

Happy New Year!

Blackssr

Reactions
I put dynamat on all four doors and it seems to be a big quieter and more of a thump when the doors are closed. like another member had said it took a bit of work and quite a bit of time but it was well worth the effort. Next I'm going to remove the seats lift the rug and put it underneath the rug.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Can you post a link to which products you used.
Stinger Roadkill Expert CLD everywhere.
Dynamat Dynaliner CCF in the doors.
Dynamat Dynapad CCF/MLV sandwich in the rear hatch and floor/spare tire well.

Explorer ST Posts