Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST Lurches

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
Has anyone had issues when putting the ST in park, shutting off the engine and the vehicle lurches hard forward? It has happened 5 or 6 times on mine and it is very unnerving. This happens even with the parking brake automatically coming on when you put it in park.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Why are you even asking about this on the forum? Take that car in to the dealer immediately!!

OP

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
Because unless they can replicate it all I get is lip service. Trying to see if others have had this issue and if so what was done to resolve it.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
A small amount of movement when shifting to PARK is normal. If it is jerking forward like it could hit someone or a car ahead, that needs to be addressed.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I know what you are talking about.
Even though it's not as pronounced as yours, mine does this almost all the time. Something like the clutch is not fully disengaged.

My 9 year old noticed this and with all the other sounds it makes after switching off, she asked me, "if our car is going to transform?"
My answer "it has more power, than it can control and want to break free".

That being said, I'll be talking with my dealer, during my first service. I doubt they will do anything about it.

OP

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #6
When I back into the garage and shift to Park, hit the stop button the ST will literally jump forward like it is trying to launch off the line. It is difficult to repeat itself because it is so random. This is also in addition to the transmission not wanting to engage when you start it in the morning. Again this is random, doesn't do it all the time, no code so this equals: "Can't replicate" from the dealer.

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Check your fluid levels

Skeek

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
After putting the vehicle in park and letting off the brake, it will roll forward and sometimes feel like lurching depending on the elevation of the terrain. If this is happening aggressively on flat terrain however, I'd suggest taking it in for a "clutch re-lean." You can specifically request this and cite harsh gear shifts, as well as a harshness when shifting between park, drive, and reverse. This is a service they should perform for free under your powertrain/transmission warranty. Just had this done and it helped alleviate some harshness when shifting into reverse (similar to what you described, the vehicle wanted to take off).

Not sure if that's your exact issue, but it sounds like your shift solenoid may be having problems. I'd also request that they check transmission fluid levels in the meantime.

OP

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #9
After putting the vehicle in park and letting off the brake, it will roll forward and sometimes feel like lurching depending on the elevation of the terrain. If this is happening aggressively on flat terrain however, I'd suggest taking it in for a "clutch re-lean." You can specifically request this and cite harsh gear shifts, as well as a harshness when shifting between park, drive, and reverse. This is a service they should perform for free under your powertrain/transmission warranty. Just had this done and it helped alleviate some harshness when shifting into reverse (similar to what you described, the vehicle wanted to take off).

Not sure if that's your exact issue, but it sounds like your shift solenoid may be having problems. I'd also request that they check transmission fluid levels in the meantime.
Thanks for the note. I decided to trade off the ST for another vehicle. I think it was the solenoid in the trans but never brought it back in to get serviced, pulled the trigger on a different vehicle.

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thanks for the note. I decided to trade off the ST for another vehicle. I think it was the solenoid in the trans but never brought it back in to get serviced, pulled the trigger on a different vehicle.
You are always free to waste money my dude.