Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

St Gearing

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Just an idea but has anyone switched out the 3.58 gears for a taller gear.

Just wondering because it has a 10spd trans wouldn't it be able to handle a taller gear for faster acceleration.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
A taller gear will give you better top speed. Shorter gears will give you better acceleration but also up the rpm you turn on the highway. I haven’t seen anyone change them in an ST but there’s no reason you can’t as long as you can find front and rear sets.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
It is expensive to change out diffs and I wouldn’t see a reason to since people regularly dip into high 11s with just a tune and a couple bolt ons. It wouldn’t be worth the price.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I would believe this whole drivetrain set is programmed for stock optimal performance. As soon as things start to be modified, your reinventing the engineering. The diff gearing is best suited for the transmission gearing ratios, which are custom programmed for the engine's hp and torque. As mentioned, if you want that 1st gear shorter, more hp will do that. If you make it too short, you won't be taking advantage of the engine's power band. The turbos rely on load which would be reduced on shorter gearing. In my opinion, with a formidable tune, a shorter 1st gear would just be a wheelspin inducer. I would leave it as is and have it take you further down the road before it hits 2nd.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
It would be easier and cheaper to go with a shorter tire, that will give you the same effect as changing gears.

Reactions
Keep in mind the entire rear diff would have to be replaced, as the ring gear is welded to it.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I doubt trading the 3.58 for say a 3.73 is going to make any appreciable gains. It's not just about the final drive ratio, it's all about the ratios in each gear of the transmission. As such, the ST has a very good ratio set- see this post here. FIrst gear could be a bit higher along with second gear could be a bit higher which would result in only a single shift to 60 or so, which would help 0-60 times. Other than that, it's pretty well matched for performance.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Keep in mind the entire rear diff would have to be replaced, as the ring gear is welded to it.
No, they are machined as 1 piece.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Also, since the front axle assembly is a ford design, there is no aftermarket support and probably never will be so you're stuck with one of the few ford ratios available.

Reactions
Vehicle
69 Mach 1
Just an idea but has anyone switched out the 3.58 gears for a taller gear.

Just wondering because it has a 10spd trans wouldn't it be able to handle a taller gear for faster acceleration.
Having a numerically higher ratio is and was important for 4 & 5 speed NA cars and any truck with larger than stock tires, but with a 10 speed auto and turbos every upshift shift results in the engine operating at or near peak TQ negating most of the benefits of a higher gear ratio.

With an 4WD Explorer you would also need to swap both front and rear differentials further driving down any real performance value.

On the plus side I believe that the ST’s 3.58:1 ratio is the most aggressive out of the explorer line up.

Last edited:

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
The hybrid EX gets 3.73's

Explorer ST Posts