Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sports Mode

WarST

Reactions
Is it always ok to have the truck in Sports Mode. It likes to stick at 4000 RPM's. Is that normal?

Reactions
Hey,

It is just slow to gear up. Just in case you might want to accelerate again. It is called sport mode. If you want eco mode, pick eco mode.

Have fun driving your ST and safe travels.

Cheers,

Ron

PostmanRP

Reactions
It will probably drop your MPG’s a bit in the city and stop and go. It holds the gears longer for quick acceleration if you mash the gas. Doesn’t use all the gears until you get up to highway speeds

KegsBdry

Reactions
It will probably drop your MPG’s a bit in the city and stop and go. It holds the gears longer for quick acceleration if you mash the gas. Doesn’t use all the gears until you get up to highway speeds
So it does use all the gears in sport mode? I thought it limited it to 8 gears from 10. I got to read my manual.

Update: I recall now that when in Manual it limits the gears. :censored:

Last edited:
Reactions
The Instructors at the ST Experience told us that the truck will always protect itself. Even in manual mode. Even shifting while in drive. Kinda idiot proof. Which is a good thing.

PostmanRP

Reactions
So it does use all the gears in sport mode? I thought it limited it to 8 gears from 10. I got to read my manual.

Update: I recall now that when in Manual it limits the gears. :censored:
It does in sport auto mode and you’re at least above 60 just cruising

hbalek

Reactions
I've pressed the manual button while crusing at highway speed and it will be in 10th gear in all modes just upshifts earlier in Eco, then later in Normal, then even later in Sport and Tow mode.

KegsBdry

Reactions
I've pressed the manual button while crusing at highway speed and it will be in 10th gear in all modes just upshifts earlier in Eco, then later in Normal, then even later in Sport and Tow mode.
I learned something new today. Thank you.

Explorer ST Posts