Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Spacers to widen the stance of stock 21" wheels?

Roots

Reactions
Can spacers be installed to move the stock 21 wheels/mags out a little? What affect will it have? Has anyone done this? Current stance seems skinny. How will Performance change by pushing mags out a little, and is it safe? Seems like tons of room in the wheel well! Not looking to lower, just wondering about a little wider stance for these massive 21s.

63MM

Reactions
Longer studs will also be required as well. I've been searching around and while there are plenty of universal style spacers available, I have yet to locate longer studs. Ultimately I would love to find a vendor that sells both as a package. Maybe someone here who has some luck will chime in.

As for safety concerns wrt spacers, I use them on all of my vehicles and have yet to run into any problems. That said, there are a few comments/threads online that warn against the use of them.

GTP

Reactions
Can spacers be installed to move the stock 21 wheels/mags out a little? What affect will it have? Has anyone done this? Current stance seems skinny. How will Performance change by pushing mags out a little, and is it safe? Seems like tons of room in the wheel well! Not looking to lower, just wondering about a little wider stance for these massive 21s.
I plan to check if 1/4" spacers will work without longer studs. You just need to have 7T thread engagement, or 10mm minimum. I suspect it will be OK. If so, I will order them from CJ Pony Parts. Their house brand spacers are great, $40/pr.

I had to go to 1/2" longer studs on my Mustang in order to run high offset wheels for track days. That was a hassle, one I won't repeat for the ST.

I don't believe 1/2" wider track will affect performance at all. It seems like not much offset, but you WILL notice the better stance with that small change.

I also plan on Ford splash guards for the winter, and so I don't want the wheels fully flush with the fenders.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
1/4” spacers are fine and leave just enough hub protruding in the rear to maintain the hub-centric fit of the wheel. Not sure on the front as I don’t plan to use one up there.
You would only need longer studs for a slip on spacer 1/2” thick or more and anything bigger than that as a slip on is a bad idea anyway.
If you want to widen the track look at Bora bolt on spacers. Just remember the rear wheels are inset 1/4” further than the front. The front wheel is right at 7/8” from the outside of the fender to the lip of the wheel, 1 3/8” out back.
You could do a 5/8” bolt on spacer up front of you shortened the studs and a 1” spacer out back to have an almost identical track width and that would put the outside of the tire about dead even with the outside of the fender.

GTP

Reactions
@UNBROKEN, good to know about the f/r difference. Now I'll just get spacers for the rear!

GTP

Reactions
I verified that the rear tire is tucked about 1-1/4" in from the fender, and the front tire is tucked by 1".
I removed one lugnut from the front and one from the rear. I measured the thread depth (end of stud to bottom on wheel cone). It is 24-25mm for both axles. There is 17mm of threads inside the OEM lugnut. This means that there is 7mm to spare for a spacer, and still have FULL thread engagement. So a 1/4" spacer should be safe with the OEM studs.

However, a 1/2" spacer would leave 24-13=11mm thread engagement, and that should still be barely sufficient. (7 turns = 10mm.) This means that 17-13=4mm of the lugnut threads would not be engaged with the stud.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Keep in mind a 1/2” slip on spacer will eliminate the hub centric fit of the wheel...you’ll essentially be making them lug centric which can lead to vibration issues.

GTP

Reactions
The CJ 1/4" spacer is bore centric, and the 1/2" has an extended flange to also make it bore centric.

I ran a set of 4 of the 1/2" spacers on my Mustang at the road course up to 130mph, and all was smooth. (Note this setup has 1/2" longer studs and open-ended lugnuts.)

Last edited: