Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sounds

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hi All,
When the door is opened on the ST, I hear a motorized sound from underneath. (not the mirror)
I also may hear it again after the door is shut before the engine is started. Any idea what that may be? Probably a routine initializing but just curious.
Thanks!

kn1706

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Various actuators are more than likely going. If you're opening the door before starting it, the fuel pump is more than likely priming, as well as the car is beginning its "start up" process.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Various actuators are more than likely going. If you're opening the door before starting it, the fuel pump is more than likely priming, as well as the car is beginning its "start up" process.
Yes, I thought about the fuel pump but didn't think I'd hear it more than once for the startup process. I'm used to hearing it in the fuel tank but maybe it's located further up front on the ST? That's where I'm hearing the sound. It sounds more mechanical though like an apparatus is moving, maybe actuators like you mentioned.

Reactions
This is the noisiest car I’ve ever experienced in terms of all the clicking and clacking and clonking and vvzzzzzing etc.; after three years I’ve learned to ignore it. Noises for gear selecting, I’ve once or twice heard noises that I THINK were from the transfer case. Solenoids and actuators playing the song of their people if I even step close to the car (good to know I can still turn SOMETHING on with just my presence). I once had my mother along for the ride as I went to pick up some things from my work quartermaster, when I came back to the car where she waited for me she asked me if there was a squirrel on the roof of the car because of all the click clack tappity tap sounds she had been hearing,

Best advice - learn to ignore them lol

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
This is the noisiest car I’ve ever experienced in terms of all the clicking and clacking and clonking and vvzzzzzing etc.; after three years I’ve learned to ignore it. Noises for gear selecting, I’ve once or twice heard noises that I THINK were from the transfer case. Solenoids and actuators playing the song of their people if I even step close to the car (good to know I can still turn SOMETHING on with just my presence). I once had my mother along for the ride as I went to pick up some things from my work quartermaster, when I came back to the car where she waited for me she asked me if there was a squirrel on the roof of the car because of all the click clack tappity tap sounds she had been hearing,

Best advice - learn to ignore them lol
I think Ford's version of a cam toy/transformers is in order. lol
It doesn't bother me at all, just wondered if it was normal for this vehicle.

BTW, don't let your mom see what you do with a vehicle you just turned on with your presence! :D

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Could it be Easy Entry?

It moves the seat and steering wheel when you open the door, try disabling it to see if the noise stops.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Could it be Easy Entry?

It moves the seat and steering wheel when you open the door, try disabling it to see if the noise stops.
With mine that doesn't happen until I hit the power button.

Reactions
I think Ford's version of a cam toy/transformers is in order. lol
It doesn't bother me at all, just wondered if it was normal for this vehicle.

BTW, don't let your mom see what you do with a vehicle you just turned on with your presence! :D
Neighbours might give me funny looks though lol

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
With mine that doesn't happen until I hit the power button.
Same here.