Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

So I just de-tuned

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I went from E50 to OEM and my foot-to-the-floor full throttle is a mere half throttle on E50. OEM off the line - get up is tranquil and non-pretentious with a gentle push into your seat and a feeling that you should be playing some sarah mclaughlin Wings of an Angel . While E50 launches are a violent, frought with feelings of badassery, adrenalin induced thoughs of when will it end...How. Can. It. Keep. Pulling. At 4000-5000-6000 RPM?!

SHIT! SHIT! SHIT! theres a cop!

Now my explorer is among pesants and common people. pfft

Anyway, yeah. So im having transmission issues and its not due to low fluid since I checked it and it WAS low from the factory by 3/4 of a quart. topped it off and still falls on its face on 2000 RPM launches. it'll shift from 1st to second then slip, bounce off the rev limiter and I have to let off the gas to get it to shift again. I put back it back to OEM and am going to drive it for a month before I send it to the dealer to have them look at it and tell me nothings wrong.

long story short - get the damn tune. its so worth it. Just as long as your transmission holds up.

Reactions
You're one of several who seems to be experiencing transmission problems after the more aggressive E50 tune. Its interesting because I know a couple people he swear up and down the street that these transmissions are capable of holding that power for the long haul without problem.

Honestly you should look at the rebuild kit, a guy in my area is getting rebuilt for $4700, cheaper than a new transmission (assuming Ford wont warranty the transmission)

Reactions
It really is too bad they didn’t put the 10R80 in these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST (AWD)
@mycbtech - appreciate you taking the time documenting your experience. What tune do you recommend when you say "get the damn tune"?

Based on my observations sounds like ZFG is king of the hill on these forums.

OP
mycbtech
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thread Starter #5
@mycbtech - appreciate you taking the time documenting your experience. What tune do you recommend when you say "get the damn tune"?

Based on my observations sounds like ZFG is king of the hill on these forums.
at least the ZFG 91/93 tune. it really makes the car wake up and really fun to drive.

OP
mycbtech
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thread Starter #6
You're one of several who seems to be experiencing transmission problems after the more aggressive E50 tune. Its interesting because I know a couple people he swear up and down the street that these transmissions are capable of holding that power for the long haul without problem.

Honestly you should look at the rebuild kit, a guy in my area is getting rebuilt for $4700, cheaper than a new transmission (assuming Ford wont warranty the transmission)
if it comes down to something where i need to get a whole new transmission, I definitly will be looking at the rebuild option.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions

There have been several threads here relating to the same behavior. I've stated in other posts and even shown information from the service manual that this transmission can "de-clutch" under various scenarios including torque, wheel spin, etc, This isn't a 30 year old transmission. It utilizes a clutch in addition to the torque converter. Have you never noticed that under ECO and even Normal modes, letting off the gas will result in abnormally long coasting distances?

It's hard to know under exactly what circumstances the TCU decides to intervene, but that doesn't mean that the behavior is necessarily a problem with the transmission. In fact, even the service manual mentions that many "interventions" like this won't even throw a DTC until they've happened several times.

Obviously if you're tuned, any torque intervention strategy would be more likely to be triggered same as wheel spin intervention, or some other safety failsafe.

OP
mycbtech
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thread Starter #8
There have been several threads here relating to the same behavior. I've stated in other posts and even shown information from the service manual that this transmission can "de-clutch" under various scenarios including torque, wheel spin, etc, This isn't a 30 year old transmission. It utilizes a clutch in addition to the torque converter. Have you never noticed that under ECO and even Normal modes, letting off the gas will result in abnormally long coasting distances?

It's hard to know under exactly what circumstances the TCU decides to intervene, but that doesn't mean that the behavior is necessarily a problem with the transmission. In fact, even the service manual mentions that many "interventions" like this won't even throw a DTC until they've happened several times.

Obviously if you're tuned, any torque intervention strategy would be more likely to be triggered same as wheel spin intervention, or some other safety failsafe.
to add to this it seems the transmission needs to be warm in order to maintain high levels of power. In my experience with this "issue" when the car is cold it will fall on its face with hard launches or heavy rolling pulls with the Tune. Currently being de-tuned I am not running into the same issues while cold or hot. I did have one good drag run on the first part of the night as there was no wait to get to the line. Granted im not a drag racer so I didnt do well with my launch and didnt brake boost very well. After that each pass was around 35-45 mins sitting waiting for the next which, subsiquently, the car fell on its face not shifting and bounching off the rev limiter instead.

but as you stated @TMac it might be self preservation by the vehicle as the car shifted just fine after the race.