Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Smoking on cold start

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Yes I am aware there is another thread. My dealer is claiming it is unburned fuel on startup due to my CAI. Has anyone else seen this from their vehicle after installing a new intake? Anything advice I can say to them to take this more seriously?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
They have to blame ignorance on something. To suggest the CAI is affecting smoke on startup is appalling stupidity.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I don't know what it might be but it isn't your CAI.

OP
B

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Yeah I don't believe it either gearhead.

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
TELL THEM TO FOLLOW THE PINPOINT TEST. IT WILL GUIDE THEM THROUGH THE WHOLE PROCESS. TELL THEM YOU WANT PICTURES OF THE VALVE GUIDES AND INSIDE THE TURBOS.

OP
B

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
TELL THEM TO FOLLOW THE PINPOINT TEST. IT WILL GUIDE THEM THROUGH THE WHOLE PROCESS. TELL THEM YOU WANT PICTURES OF THE VALVE GUIDES AND INSIDE THE TURBOS.

I have called Ford corporate and told them to initiate a buyback. I refused to take the vehicle on Friday at the dealer. It smoked on startup (big surprise). Quite frankly I don't give a damn what they do with it.

They replaced the injectors and said hey look we fixed it. The level of incompetence is staggering and I paid too much money to screw around with this anymore.

Hillre14

Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer
I have called Ford corporate and told them to initiate a buyback. I refused to take the vehicle on Friday at the dealer. It smoked on startup (big surprise). Quite frankly I don't give a damn what they do with it.

They replaced the injectors and said hey look we fixed it. The level of incompetence is staggering and I paid too much money to screw around with this anymore.

Hey Man if it makes you feel better I had smoke at cold start up and they are replacing the entire motor. So id say you are vindicated.

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST

OH THAT SUCKS. WELL SEEMS LIKE THE DEALERSHIP YOU TOOK IT TOO JUST DIDNT CARE I GUESS. GOOD LUCK.

Taxgod4u

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Exploder-ST
Return it to stock and take it back to them an option?

OP
B

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
Return it to stock and take it back to them an option?

All I have is a CAI. It would be a huge reach for them to try to claim that caused this issue. Regardless of that, I have seen others on here say their dealer said the same thing. It's all BS and I'm just done. I don't care what they do with it and I'll drive their car until I get my money back from ford.

OP
B

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
Hey Man if it makes you feel better I had smoke at cold start up and they are replacing the entire motor. So id say you are vindicated.
Sounds like your dealer actually spent the time troubleshooting like they should. They wouldn't even pull the exhaust off the turbos to see if there was oil in there.

OP
B

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
Update: Ford corp called me back already and started the buyback request.

Dealer also called me today to say, we let it sit longer and it smoked more (I'm shocked, well not that shocked). They also opened a case with ford customer care. It's almost like I knew what I was talking about. I won't hold my breath for an apology from the tech or the dealer.

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
why would the tech apologize its not his job to talk to you lmao.

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
Sounds like your dealer actually spent the time troubleshooting like they should. They wouldn't even pull the exhaust off the turbos to see if there was oil in there.
got money on that its more then just the engine, better tell them to look at the turbos while the engine is out, and if im wrong well its part of the job.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
White smoke billowing out of both exhausts on cold starts began to happen after 21K miles. It’s been at the Ford dealer for two weeks now, getting it back today. They had to replace both turbos. Hopefully, that fixes the problem.

OP
B

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #16
why would the tech apologize its not his job to talk to you lmao.
When they call them to me to watch the videos I took and they flat out refuse to acknowledge the issue it sure as hell is.

brunion

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ford Explorer ST
Update: Ford corp called me back already and started the buyback request.

Dealer also called me today to say, we let it sit longer and it smoked more (I'm shocked, well not that shocked). They also opened a case with ford customer care. It's almost like I knew what I was talking about. I won't hold my breath for an apology from the tech or the dealer.
you would happen to have that number you called for Ford Corp would you my dealer ship said that i needed a new engine then kept my car for 2 months called me said for said that was normal for it to smoke that i didn't need a new engine now having trouble with the powertrain. lol only have 14000 miles on it.

OP
B

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #18
(800) 392-3673