Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Shutter while accelerating in a turn 4WD

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Title says it all. I have a slight flutter/shutter when I get on it from a stop while turning. I don't feel it in the steering wheel, it's through the body of the vehicle. I'm guessing it's drivetrain related but only happens in the specific scenario I've given here. Anyone else experience this? The dealer will be taking my vehicle when they have a loaner to replace the rear subframe with the 2 bolt version. If you've had this problem let me know so I can point them in a specific direction.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I take it you're thinking of some type of "shudder"- in the drivetrain? That is the traction control system. It's not perfect, as it's trying to gauge the difference in wheel speed, the acceleration, and the turning angle. You can try turning it off (you can't turn it completely off) and see if you notice any difference in the behavior. There are other posts on various "interventions" by the TCS when you're accelerating when turning.

OP
B

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
I'll give it a shot and see if it changes anything.

Reactions
I get a slight clunking noise on full lock left turns under light acceleration (ie doing a u-ey in an intersection). It sounds like a CV joint to me, but also I don’t know if it could be the 4WD attempting to engage since the front end would be getting some power under acceleration. Something about hub actuators? I dunno. Either way it’s been doing it for 80,000km and had many services/inspections and no issues noted, so.

OP
B

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
I take it you're thinking of some type of "shudder"- in the drivetrain? That is the traction control system. It's not perfect, as it's trying to gauge the difference in wheel speed, the acceleration, and the turning angle. You can try turning it off (you can't turn it completely off) and see if you notice any difference in the behavior. There are other posts on various "interventions" by the TCS when you're accelerating when turning.
It is definitely traction control. On a related note God damn.

Btw you can turn it completely off if you hold the button for 5 seconds. Just be ready for copious amounts of wheel spin.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It is definitely traction control. On a related note God damn.

Btw you can turn it completely off if you hold the button for 5 seconds. Just be ready for copious amounts of wheel spin.
Even holding it for 5 seconds doesn't turn it completely off. But it does change the sensitivity level significantly.

But I'm glad that you at least have an answer.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just to follow up- for those interested. Once traction control has been introduced on a vehicle, the manufacturer has to make it a conscious decision to turn it off. You see there are a certain group of people who are litigious- it's just too expensive to have class action lawsuits because somebody lost control on acceleration and had a bad accident. I grew up racing motorcycles and cars and have had more than my share of tail-happy sports cars. That doesn't apply to most people, and honestly, if my daughter drives my 400hp 3-row SUV and decides to try to beat someone at a left turn stoplight, I'm happy there are some electronic aids (they are NOT perfect mind you) to try to keep her out of trouble.

The very best traction control is a vehicle with less than 100 hp! My ancient '73 Karman-Ghia that I had in college comes to mind. ;)

It was not only glacially slow, but abysmal at braking. Anything above 60 mph was a rather white knuckle experience as you knew you could face death at any moment. Handling? Non-existent. Understeer, oversteer? None to speak of as the chassis was made of jello (it was a convertible). Probably the safest car you could ever drive since there was no way that you didn't have your head on a swivel and anticipate every corner, stop, merge, and on-ramp way in advance. Sometimes minutes in advance. Everyone looking for a learner's permit should start in that car!

Last edited: