Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Shut down, everything stays on.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So, I've had my ST for 14 months, not a single problem....until today. Ran out to pick up some Chipotle. Everything fine until I get home. I have a basic shutdown technique, pull the parking brake (I'm on a hill), turn off engine. The car starts ding-ding-ding. No notifications other than a constant ringing. Get out of the car and the lights stay on. I always have the lights on auto. I check, they're on auto. I walk away, go in the house thinking it will go back to normal but after having a bad feeling and going back to look, lights are still on. Get back in and it's still dinging (audio alert). Start it up, back it out of driveway, set parking brake and turn it off as normal. Same problem. Turn off lights and it seems it's normal. Now I understand that maybe, just maybe without realizing it, I touched something else or the vehicle is trying to tell me something. Any ideas?

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Did you find out what happened? So many sensors on these vehicles, they click and whirr just sitting in the garage.

Reactions
Mine somehow went from auto lights to "on" and I was getting a dinging I had no clue what it was. Had to get out the book and there were only I think 3 things that caused that dinging. Found the light switch in "on" and not "auto". Put the switch back in auto and all was good.

If cycling through all the functions doesnt send it back to "auto" and back to normal i.e. no dinging, might have a failed switch and need a trip to the dealer... I could see the "fail safe" programing being "on"...

Reactions
Could a door or something be open? Or maybe somethings blocking the latch mechanism of the back hatch? I had that happen to me. The car shuts off but it’s constantly reminding me that it will not shut down completely until I fix whatever is blocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Mine has done that twice where the lights have moved to ON from auto somehow and gives you that confusing cacophony. Maybe another Sync download?

OP
T

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
I haven't ever updated Sync. Everything "seems" to be back to normal. I have no idea- suppose it is some type of glitch. Might be a problem with the light switch, will update as I investigate. Thanks for the ideas and help.

Reactions
You sure its not a key in the pocket proximity problem? Mine "wakes up" when I get near it, puddle lamps and interior lights.

OP
T

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
It was definitely a problem with the lights staying on. Funny thing, I turned them to off to solve the problem. Get it the car next day and it's in the "auto" setting. That 'switch' is not really a switch as such, just a rotary knob. But it hasn't recurred since so who knows?