Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

should an American buy. Canadian imported ST?

Reactions
my friend offered one, should he buy it? issues with the Canada cars?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
They're all built in the same place. A couple of hints:
1. Multiply all MPH by .62 unless you want to feel like you're going faster.
2. Multiply temps by 1.8 and then add 32.
3. Drop "Eh" from all warnings- for example when it says "Oil Change Required, Eh?", Just ignore the "Eh".
4. If you're oot of gas, that means you're out of gas.
5. Maple syrup should never be substituted for engine oil.

Reactions
I've owned a Explorer in the past from Canada and here were no issues. ACTUALLY, you might be better off buying a car from Canada than lets say Michigan. Michigan loves to use salt in winter whereas I've heard Canada uses sand. So if we are assuming this is a used Explorer (even though fairly new) I'd say its probably preferred that it comes from a location that doesn't salt their roads.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I've owned a Explorer in the past from Canada and here were no issues. ACTUALLY, you might be better off buying a car from Canada than lets say Michigan. Michigan loves to use salt in winter whereas I've heard Canada uses sand. So if we are assuming this is a used Explorer (even though fairly new) I'd say its probably preferred that it comes from a location that doesn't salt their roads.
Canada uses salt too. It just depends on the area that you live as to what is used. The municipality decides what is used on the roads. I've seen both here in BC.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
i would make sure the car's country code was set to USA. I think you can do that in Forscan but not sure. Id be upset if it was reading road signs in kPH and the intelligent cruise didnt work. I know ours can do kPH or MPH but not sure about theirs.

Reactions
i would make sure the car's country code was set to USA. I think you can do that in Forscan but not sure. Id be upset if it was reading road signs in kPH and the intelligent cruise didnt work. I know ours can do kPH or MPH but not sure about theirs.
most if not all cars today can operate in metric and imperial.
the only difference I can think about is in Canada we have mandatory daylight running headlights. Not sure about the USA!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

mbnorton

Reactions
A lot of Canadian used fords are being shipped to the USA through the dealers. Buyers may not be aware of that.

Reactions
Reactions
Canada uses salt too. It just depends on the area that you live as to what is used. The municipality decides what is used on the roads. I've seen both here in BC.
Oh, well I guess the more you know. Thanks for the info

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The salt vs sand has to do with temperature. Salt isn't effective at very low temps. I spent two years in Grand Forks, ND. One winter it stayed below 0 degrees for nearly a month. They only used sand then. Growing up in mid Michigan, which normally isn't as cold as that, they only used salt.

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
A lot of Canadian used fords are being shipped to the USA through the dealers. Buyers may not be aware of that.
why is that?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Lots of sand and gravel used where I live. Cracked windshields are the very common and Police only care if your vison is obscured by the crack. As the snow melts in the spring it gets very dusty on the roads until the street sweeper make a few rounds.

mbnorton

Reactions
Canadian dealers get great prices because of dollar difference. It creates a used car shortage in Canada. Chrysler losses warranty when transferred over to USA. Some Chevy are made in Mexico so the ones made in Mexico will get 20 percent duty put on when shipped to USA. We just sold our Porsche to a ford dealership that shipped it to USA. We got 14000 dollars more selling it to a ford dealership than a local Porsche dealership. Chev and Chrysler are trying to control the flow but ford doesn’t seem to mind as it will probally be replaced by a ford weather it’s a Canadian or American. With the bilateral agreement between USA and Canada no duty if assembled in USA or Canada. A car fax report will show if a Canadian vehicle. Also cars that are in accidents are reported more detailed in Canada. If you are buying a used vehicle from dealer or any one I would suggest investing Canadian car fax. It will show if it was in Canada. Number of owners and if it was a theft recovery etc. I’m not sure if USA report catches that when it crosses border.