Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

sensor claims engine coolant is overheating

Reactions
So the other day I turned onto my block, temp gauge shoots up to the top, reduced power, warning alarms start going off. Next day start truck, temp gauge still at top, warning lights still on, no power. Towed to dealership, replacing both sensor and harness. Known issue, see attach. If this happened 5 minutes earlier would have been on expressway!

Attachments

Reactions
Mine just did this today. I was driving on the highway, the Sensor is going off that the coolant temperature is overheated, speed automatically reduced. I pulled over and I checked the engine & hose, nothing is hot? And there is plenty of coolant. I’m guessing a computer default?

Reactions
Mine just did this today. I was driving on the highway, the Sensor is going off that the coolant temperature is overheated, speed automatically reduced. I pulled over and I checked the engine & hose, nothing is hot? And there is plenty of coolant. I’m guessing a computer default?
You seem to have a similar problem to what powerby50 has experienced. Dealer should be able to address it, for safety, take a printout of the the tsb that powerby has shared.

MUB

Reactions
This just happened to mine too. Driving down the road 45mph, engine coolant temp warning, lost power and pulled over.
Engine was not overheated and no visible signs of anything wrong. Coolant and oil all good.
Sat for 3 hours while waiting for Ford roadside Assistance, still stuck in limp mode. Towed to dealer.
Will see what they Say on Monday but it will mostly likely be the sensor.
Other than this issue, its been great, no problems! 4700 miles.

Attachments

Last edited:

F=MA

Reactions
Welcome. Sucks to have any issues with a new vehicle. On another note I would love to see what wheel and tire combo you have installed. Any other ST photos?

Last edited:

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I'd like to know the build dates on those that have had this sensor problem.

Jim