Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

School Me On Winter Tires

Flanders

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Let me know what I need.

I currently have P275/45R21 Pirelli Scorpions with the factory rims.

I think it would be best to down size to 20" rims and tires.

Will 20" rims fit?

I have no idea about backspacing, spacers, adapters. Just looking to buy a set of rims and winter tires that will fit.

School Me!

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
My thoughts are to stay with the factory wheels and go with something like a Pirelli Scorpion WeatherActive or Toyo Celsius Sport.

OP
F

Flanders

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
My thoughts are to stay with the factory wheels and go with something like a Pirelli Scorpion WeatherActive or Toyo Celsius Sport.
I am thinking I want to save the factory rims for spring/summer and fall. They put a lot of gravel on the roads here and it will ruin them in ahurry.

bobter3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer W/SAP
I am thinking I want to save the factory rims for spring/summer and fall. They put a lot of gravel on the roads here and it will ruin them in ahurry.
Shop for take-offs or for steel wheels if its just for the winter. like a set of Interceptor wheels

Reactions
Shop for take-offs or for steel wheels if its just for the winter. like a set of Interceptor wheels
Hi, I picked up a used set of 18" aluminum rims off of an XLT to use with a set of winter tires. Much cheaper than 20" or 21" tires. 255/65R18 are the original size on the wheels, but you could fit a 265/60R18 on them if you wanted too. Just a thought. Cheers.

Reactions
I'm going to try the Weatheractives(have them on currently), but also have a set of Blizzak DMV2's that I usually run. I don't think the Pirelli's are going to be OK, but not great compared to the Blizzak's on snow and ice.

bobter3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer W/SAP
Hi, I picked up a used set of 18" aluminum rims off of an XLT to use with a set of winter tires. Much cheaper than 20" or 21" tires. 255/65R18 are the original size on the wheels, but you could fit a 265/60R18 on them if you wanted too. Just a thought. Cheers.
Those would work at long as he doesn't have the Performance Pack brakes. I understand that the calibers are too big for the smaller wheels.

OP
F

Flanders

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Those would work at long as he doesn't have the Performance Pack brakes. I understand that the calibers are too big for the smaller wheels.
Yes, I have the Performance Pack brakes.

Floc

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
I bought a set of 18's for my ST with the bigger brakes. They fit fine. Close, but they easily fit over the brakes.