Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Salesman gave me the green light to tune (sort of)

SassoSon

Reactions
Vehicle
‘22 Explorer ST
So I just bought a ‘22 Explorer ST and after purchase I asked the salesman as we were standing beside a tricked out mustang on showroom floor.. what can I do for performance while maintaining the warranty? He told me about a shop that does work on mustangs for 20+ year now and I should contact them, they would be able to tell me what will and won’t void the warranty.

so I just had them install a borla s-type and it’s sounding nice. I asked if there was anything else and he mentioned there’s a tune I can run if im using 91 or better that should keep the warranty intact but he also said “at the end of the day every dealership is different”.

In your guys opinions (ill read them all) should I do it? What are the odds something goes wrong? Do you think I should just take the salesman’s word? I plan on paying off the truck in 5 years and moving on from it. So am I safe to say I won’t be needing the coverage from the warranty im the first 5 years of the vehicle life? Also worth mentioning I bought the extended premium warranty.
Thanks!

OP
S

SassoSon

Reactions
Vehicle
‘22 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #2
Gloss black tips... No more turn downs… ever. 94ED8096-6438-4F77-B866-1848794FC294.jpeg

Reactions
The salesman job is to tell you anything he can to get you to do the deed. Like the sleazy guy at the bar feeding a girl drinks and cheapntalk, they have one thing on their mind and once they've got what they want they don't need you anymore.

So no, I wouldn't take his word for it. I'd get it in writing from the store general manager on a legal contract stating the dealer will warranty it with a tune. Ford sure as hell won't.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
"there’s a tune I can run if im using 91 or better that should keep the warranty intact" Key word here is "should" as in maybe........ be carefull.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
they all just want your money. the service guy is the one that will call you or not on your mods.
IMO if your scared dont do it. Ive always ran the car about 1000 miles no issues then mods would begin. I also never went with any new guys always the ones that have been around longest. dont care if its cheaper or more HP not worth it to me. good luck either way.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Bottom Line: If anyone tunes their vehicle with a non manufacturer tune, you could be denied a warranty claim on the engine and/or drive train.

It's a gamble, could go either way ...

th-1998570454.jpg

th-768037476a.jpg

Reactions
Never take the word of a salesperson, especially at a car store. The shop manager is the one who will, or will not, decide what they will warranty if you have a tune.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Ford has a TSB for techs to follow for performance vehicles to determine if the failure was caused by a non covered item or tune. If i recall right checking software level and key cycles is on the checklist.

I just touched base with Ford Performance today on their tune. Current ETA was mid summer, no other details provided as to possible gains

monstertuned

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
It depends on the dealer. Never trust the word of a sales man, but out of the 50 fords I've bought in the past 10 years I had a 19 f150 2.7 drop a valve (common issues on f150/bronco 2.7) and the entire engine was replaced under warranty at 950 miles on the odomoeter. It also had occured the day after they changed the oil so I'm sure they didn't want any heat. The vehicle was on e50 and tuned a the time.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So very true, ask anyone who has worked in the service dept about salesman promises and you will get an earful :)
So true! Ran a large service department that serviced hospital computerized dictation systems. The salesman would swear the thing would make coffee and give them a blow job just to get the sale. Learned to hate salesmen that lie.....which is 80% IMO and I was a salesman later in life :LOL: