Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

RWD ST

Reactions
Has anyone taken delivery of a RWD ST yet? This is a new option they’ve added for MY22.

Very curious to hear a review of this vs the AWD system. Even more curious to see the performance spec comparison. Guessing a slightly weaker launch, but a higher trap speed and similar ET.

Surprised there’s been so little information/discussion about it, unless there actually haven’t been any produced yet.

SOUTHFLST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Has anyone taken delivery of a RWD ST yet? This is a new option they’ve added for MY22.

Very curious to hear a review of this vs the AWD system. Even more curious to see the performance spec comparison. Guessing a slightly weaker launch, but a higher trap speed and similar ET.

Surprised there’s been so little information/discussion about it, unless there actually haven’t been any produced yet.
Agreed. Interesting that Ford even made it an option. I can’t see ever wanting RWD instead of AWD. Not in an SUV.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Slightly weaker launch? 4WD ST’s will cut low 1.70 60’ on the street all day long. The RWD will struggle to cut a 2.X I bet.
People are gonna be bringing knives to a gunfight.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I wouldn't expect a higher trap with the RWD. The Explorer cuts power to the front wheels at a certain speed, so there's less drag when the front wheel traction isn't needed.

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I wouldn't expect a higher trap with the RWD. The Explorer cuts power to the front wheels at a certain speed, so there's less drag when the front wheel traction isn't needed.
I don’t know that for sure, but I’ll take your word. Either way though, I suspect the decoupling occurs in the transfer case so there is still losses as the front wheels are still connected to the half shafts, front differential, etc.

Whether that loss plus a couple hundred extra lbs of drivetrain components is enough to change the trap speed, I guess time will tell.

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Slightly weaker launch? 4WD ST’s will cut low 1.70 60’ on the street all day long. The RWD will struggle to cut a 2.X I bet.
People are gonna be bringing knives to a gunfight.
60’ def will go to the awd. But what about the rest of the race? Even by 60mph it’s prob gonna be close. Esp in stock-ish form.

Obv awd is gonna take the win in the high hp builds.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That’s not how it works in real life. The 4WD will be gone and the RWD won’t stand a chance in hell of catching up.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Throw a good set of DR's on the back and skinnies up front and the 2wd will keep up or even surpass the 4wd on the dragstrip

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
That’s not how it works in real life. The 4WD will be gone and the RWD won’t stand a chance in hell of catching up.
There’s cars out there (in real life) that would dispute that.

The stinger gt (a similar power plant: 3.3, v6 twin turbo) is FASTER in RWD than AWD, even to 60.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2020-kia-stinger-gt2-awd-first-test/amp/

Here’s the relevant part for you -
“ One would expect all-wheel drive to help the Stinger's performance numbers, but while quick, our handsome HiChroma Red Stinger GT tester proved to be slower than the rear-drive Stinger GTs we've tested. Our tester accelerated from 0 to 60 mph in 5.1 seconds and on through the quarter mile in 13.6 seconds at 104.8 mph. The quickest rear-wheel-drive Stinger GT we've ever tested ran to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds and through the quarter mile in 13.1 seconds at 106.9 mph.”

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Throw a good set of DR's on the back and skinnies up front and the 2wd will keep up or even surpass the 4wd on the dragstrip
Then let me throw 4 radials on a 4WD….talking stock for stock here.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions

The stinger gt (a similar power plant: 3.3, v6 twin turbo) is FASTER in RWD than AWD, even to 60.

“ One would expect all-wheel drive to help the Stinger's performance numbers, but while quick, our handsome HiChroma Red Stinger GT tester proved to be slower than the rear-drive Stinger GTs we've tested. Our tester accelerated from 0 to 60 mph in 5.1 seconds and on through the quarter mile in 13.6 seconds at 104.8 mph. The quickest rear-wheel-drive Stinger GT we've ever tested ran to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds and through the quarter mile in 13.1 seconds at 106.9 mph.”
These aren’t Stingers…they’re ST’s.
The 4WD will be quicker to the 1/4…period.
You’re not going to make up the 60’ deficit in equal vehicles otherwise.
Until you get deep into suspension mods and power the RWD car loses every time.

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Every time, unless they’re Stingers in real life apparently.

The best part is the results for the ST will be known soon enough.

Reactions
These aren’t Stingers…they’re ST’s.
Not true, the 2wd will win out when properly setup. These things are big and heavy, a sticky tire is all they need. The awd will be more consistent yes but the rwd will be quicker and faster in the 1/4.

Much like the f150 platform.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Not true, the 2wd will win out when properly setup. These things are big and heavy, a sticky tire is all they need. The awd will be more consistent yes but the rwd will be quicker and faster in the 1/4.

Much like the f150 platform.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Talking bone stock to bone stock, Adam, tires and all. I already clarified it’ll change with mods.
Bone stock the RWD won’t have time to chase down the 3-4 1/10 deficit off the line.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

Just for consideration, another automobile mag's info on the Kias for perspective; so, who knows? -

Tested: 2022 Kia Stinger GT AWD Stays the Course (caranddriver.com)
excerpt:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
C/D TEST RESULTS

60 mph: 4.6 sec
100 mph: 11.5 sec
1/4-Mile: 13.1 sec @ 107 mph
130 mph: 20.8 sec
150 mph: 32.6 sec

Added full stats:

C/D TEST RESULTS
Results above omit 1-ft rollout of 0.3 sec.
Rolling Start, 5–60 mph: 5.3 sec
Top Gear, 30–50 mph: 2.6 sec
Top Gear, 50–70 mph: 3.4 sec
Top Speed (mfr's claim): 149 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 187 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft Skidpad: 0.85 g

Last edited:
OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
Just for consideration, another automobile mag's info for perspective; so, who knows? -

Tested: 2022 Kia Stinger GT AWD Stays the Course (caranddriver.com)
excerpt:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
C/D TEST RESULTS
Interesting. There’s a lot of variables in those times: weather, surface temp, tire temp, altitude, variability between cars, drivers, etc.

Either way there doesn’t seem to be the massive (if any!) difference that some expect/claim

The old TBSS posted similar times between awd/rwd if memory serves, as well.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I have pretty much zero faith in any magazine posted times. Half of them can barely write a story much less drive a car.
Something else to consider if we’re being honest with ourselves…99.9% of the action you’re gonna get will happen on the street and will be way less than 1/4 mile. Very few people actually take these things to the track…almost everyone just uses a Dragy on the street. Your average red light battle will be less than 1/8 mile…and anything 2wd is losing that battle. 4WD will dominate in virtually every “race” you find yourself in…that’s why all of us on E50 with some mods are “beating” faster cars left and right. Ask yourself if you wanna be out front…or if you wanna be playing catch up in real world conditions…that’s the real question.

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Ok, but if we're talking about an actual 1/4 mile time on STOCK vehicles- I'd have to put my guess on the RWD version. Consider this, you're removing the transfer case, including the drive chain, mag clutches and output shaft. Also add in the front driveshaft, the front differential, ring/pinion, two half-shafts, etc. That's a weight savings of easily 200 lbs. Now also add in the friction of those driveline parts and HP cost of accelerating all those moving parts. All of that equates to lower weight and less driveline losses in a RWD variant. @UNBROKEN is surely right in modified vehicles that are traction challenged that the AWD is better, but stock (and we'll probably see some real numbers soon), I'd put my money on the RWD ST. As I've said before, if it had the torsen rear diff, myself, I'd take the RWD version in a second. (But not if I lived in snowy climes!)

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
200lbs seems to be the best estimate of the 4wd parts list…that would equate to roughly 2/10 in the 1/4 and a hair more mph. The 4wd will put more than that on the RWD in the first 60’…there won’t be enough room for the RWD to run down the 4WD.
I got $100 on the 4wd if anyone wants to cover it. lol
And I mean a real side by side race…not magazine times.

Reactions
I gotta say I'm with unbroken on this one just from my TBSS experience. Stock for stock the AWD TBSS's would dog the RWD ones in the quarter from what I saw (maybe others will disagree). Now as stated above, throw some mods on or a tire and that game changes up very quickly.