Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

RWD or AWD??

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Navigator
Hello everyone, new to the forum in fact first ever forum I’ve been on. So I drove my first ST about a week ago and been hooked and on the hunt for one. Before I decide on one I’m curious if anyone has built a RWD ST and how well it performs vs the AWD?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Here's a link to some conversation about RWD vs AWD performance. I haven't heard of anyone doing major mods on a RWD platform (at least on this site). While you would save some weight, you're giving up AWD.

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/...-sts-400-hp-v-6-to-more-trims.2385/post-30401

Further research concludes that you can swap the 3.58 LSD from the Timberline model.

OP
B
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Navigator
Thread Starter #3
Thank you for the reply and the link. From what I have read, driven and watched AWD seems to be the way to go. I guess it’s just new to me all I’ve ever raced was RWD.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yeah I would go awd. Just for the added versatility.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Had to do a bit of searching....a few more viewpoints on this thread.

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/explorer-enthusiast-st.1769/post-22003

You could argue this forever, but- in vehicles where we're talking great performance at 11 second 1/4s, I'd definitely say for myself, living where there is no snow is that if the RWD was available at a nice cost saving, AND I were interested in dragstrip times, I'd buy the RWD version....but only with the Torsen LSD. Otw, it's hard to justify.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Hello everyone, new to the forum in fact first ever forum I’ve been on. So I drove my first ST about a week ago and been hooked and on the hunt for one. Before I decide on one I’m curious if anyone has built a RWD ST and how well it performs vs the AWD?
I'd go AWD.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST RWD
I have a RWD 2022. With the stock tune it hooks just fine. Can brake boost it and it takes off with no wheelspin. I have LMS 93 performance tune…. Being tuned is a different story. If you mash it from a stop, it will spin when boost hits fully around 3000 rpm. After that it’s going to pull harder and out down more power to the wheels due to less driveline loss and less weight. Ive gotten the launches down… slight brake boost, then launch on 80% throttle and then floor it once RPMs pass 3000. On a prepped track I doubt there will be any traction problems. I am in Florida and there’s really no reason for AWD. It was cheaper for the RWD model and less components to wear out and break.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
We have an AWD and highly recommend if you live in an area that is frequent to rain. We purchased our first AWD (Acura RDX) vehicle in 2017 and would never own anything else after noticing the difference in handling in all weather conditions. The added traction ensues confidence in handling and performance.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
AWD

Last edited:

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Carbonized Gray Explorer ST
Does the RWD ST have the same 3-bolt rear diff issue as the AWD? Seems like sending all the torque to the rear would just make a bad situation even worse.