Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Roof rails/racks for '21 w/Moonroof?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Mine DID need holes drilled, I removed the originally plastic in the roof and when I saw there was sheet metal where the studs were suppose to go that’s when I decided I was not going to do it myself. BTW I’m a body construction engineer at ford. Things change, we will change things middle of the year on a model. Things change far more frequently than normal due to Covid.
There are 4 studs per side. The delete retainer has two and the delete panel has 2. With rails the retainer has 1 and the rails have 3. There’s 4 studs per side no matter which option you get.
You’re telling me they’re drilling holes on the assembly line now? I don’t buy it, sorry. Everyone I’ve seen on FB that’s swapped parts has exactly what I described.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Yeah, one thing I do not believe, absolutes with Ford.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Yeah, one thing I do not believe, absolutes with Ford.
I agree but this doesn’t make sense. No matter which option you get there’s still 4 studs used. I’ve done it myself and talked countless people through the process….not one has ever said they had to drill another hole.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I'm not doubting you for a minute and I don't believe dealers as a general rule.

Reactions
I agree but this doesn’t make sense. No matter which option you get there’s still 4 studs used. I’ve done it myself and talked countless people through the process….not one has ever said they had to drill another hole.
My question is, what holds the plastic trim down now? Two-sided tape, lol